21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Starving all the time!
Created on: 04/14/14 12:57 PM Views: 1115 Replies: 12
Starving all the time!
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I started the KickStart a day late, but have been faithful to the program eating only Vegan. I go to the Gym 3 to 4 times a week, and I have found myself starving all the time. My sister, who has been a vegetarian for 25 years has recommended Pea Protein. Any thoughts on feeding the starving beast? Thanks!

RE: Starving all the time!
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Bread.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Not to oversimplify, but you need to eat more quantity! Don't skimp on the bowls of oatmeal, servings of beans and grains, or pieces of fruit! More is the key word!

Supplemental products like pea protein may only be necessary if you are burning more calories than you can possibly consume from food. This is usually not a problem unless you are training and burning many thousands of calories a day (different than recreational exercise).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I am in my 50's, 15 pounds overweight, and have cholesterol in the 250's (inherited genetics). I adopted this lifestyle to lose weight, get in shape and not go on Lipitor as my doctor has recommended. When I go to the gym, I lift heavy weights and I speed walk on my off days. My workouts are more than recreational, but not excessive. Can I accomplish my goals by eating extra servings or is more protein needed? Thanks.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM

If you get enough calories throughout the day, you get enough protein.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

expediter01 wrote:

I started the KickStart a day late, but have been faithful to the program eating only Vegan. I go to the Gym 3 to 4 times a week, and I have found myself starving all the time. My sister, who has been a vegetarian for 25 years has recommended Pea Protein. Any thoughts on feeding the starving beast? Thanks!

Potatoes. When I added potatoes to my diet I quit having cravings, quit being hungry and I started losing weight again. I swear by eating potatoes to keep myself satisfied without over eating.

Vikki ~

Edited 04/14/14 2:28 PM
Posted Monday, April 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

When I eat bowl of a whole grain cereal such as a cooked 6 grain cereal or Grapenuts for breakfast, I feel full for a long time. Have you had a chance to read the Celebrity Tips by Lani Mulrath, Rip Esselstyne, or Kathy Freston? Maybe one of their recipes will work for you.

email
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips! I'll let you know how it goes...

Posted Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM

[quote="expediter01"]Thank you everyone for th

Expediter01,

How's it going? Hopefully you've increased your consumption of whole, low fat foods to meet your hunger and energy needs. Eating to satisfaction can be a new skill to learn, if we have any history of chronic dieting or day-after-day calorie restriction. It can be a hard habit to break!

Looking forward to an update,
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

So I've made it to the end of the Kickstart!

It's been a rough ride indeed over the past 21 days. Finding something to eat has been a constant challenge for me. I have 7 children and a spouse at home who haven't signed up for this and are a constant reminder of the foods I have left behind. My full-time day job and my daily morning gym routines have limited my time for preparing the delicious menus you have presented each day to the point that I am living on Rice, Beans, Vegetables, Fruit, Cereal and Almond milk. I'm not sure how healthy I'm eating, but it is what it is. The bottom line is, I've kept true to the Vegan lifestyle for the entire time and plan to continue.

As an older, mostly out of shape body builder, I'm looking for advice on building muscle, shedding the fat and gaining back energy. Each day at the Gym I feel sluggish and out of sorts (if that's a term?). Any thoughts of foods I should add to my diet to help with strength building and endurance? In the past (BF... Before Vegan)I would drink a Whey protein shake after a workout, and take Creatine supplements pre-workout. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks again for everything!

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM

You might want to check out Brendan Brazier (one of the Celebs associated with the kickstart - go to the Celebrity Tips link at the top of the page, next to Community Forum etc.) He's an Ironman Triathlete, so I'm sure he does pretty vigorous workouts Wink

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

expediter01 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So I've made it to the end of the Kickstart!

It's been a rough ride indeed over the past 21 days. Finding something to eat has been a constant challenge for me. I have 7 children and a spouse at home who haven't signed up for this and are a constant reminder of the foods I have left behind. My full-time day job and my daily morning gym routines have limited my time for preparing the delicious menus you have presented each day to the point that I am living on Rice, Beans, Vegetables, Fruit, Cereal and Almond milk. I'm not sure how healthy I'm eating, but it is what it is. The bottom line is, I've kept true to the Vegan lifestyle for the entire time and plan to continue.

As an older, mostly out of shape body builder, I'm looking for advice on building muscle, shedding the fat and gaining back energy. Each day at the Gym I feel sluggish and out of sorts (if that's a term?). Any thoughts of foods I should add to my diet to help with strength building and endurance? In the past (BF... Before Vegan)I would drink a Whey protein shake after a workout, and take Creatine supplements pre-workout. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks again for everything!

Hi expediter,

Special supplements and pounding down powders of all kinds is primarily a function of the food supplement industry marketing efforts. Unless you are an athlete engaged in regular, intense physical challenges the best way to keep up with your fuel and muscle building needs is to be sure to eat sufficient quality whole foods. Strength and endurance are built by challenging your body to do same, and providing enough fuel and rest for recovery.

7 children? You do need strength!

By the way, all of my Fit Quickies 5 minute workouts from my book have been made into short videos, some of which are uploaded to my YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessDreamMaker

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Wild4Stars wrote:

expediter01 wrote:

Potatoes. When I added potatoes to my diet I quit having cravings, quit being hungry and I started losing weight again. I swear by eating potatoes to keep myself satisfied without over eating.

I work out every day lifting weights or aerobics and am rarely hungry if I eat often enough and I'm increasing my weighted squats, number of pushups and weight I can curl so I know I'm getting enough protein. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are my mainstay as well as steel-cut oatmeal. For some reason brown rice doesn't satisfy me for as long. I eat at least 1cup legumes of some sort every day too - lentils, black beans. I plug my food into the online Cronometer tool once or twice a month just to check, and I'm getting plenty of everything. It's important to have enough starchy veggies as well as non-starchy.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 355 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org