21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: The only vegan I know...
Created on: 05/01/13 03:53 PM Views: 1434 Replies: 4
The only vegan I know...
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I'm going vegan again on May 3rd!
I'm the only vegan I know.
My boyfriend thinks food is something that comes from a box.
I'm a nutrition consultant and still cant seem to get through to him.

HELP! I need Ideas.
I live at his house 75% of the time and I need to be able to feed myself as well as stay away from what he is "cooking".

RE: The only vegan I know...
Posted Friday, May 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I can relate! I'm vegan, have been for years and years, married to a non vegan. I prep his lunch and dinner and plan it carefully so he eats well, but he does eat 1-2 three to four ounce portions of meat daily. He likes cheese but I don't buy much food as we have a small farm, so he understands and does not complain, at least not to me. I use coconut milk on cereal or to bake for him.

I don't much care what people think of what I eat. I'm a health and nutrition teacher in a high school (retiring in June!) and for many years have taught the SAD nutrition as its my job. My students and fellow faculty know I'm plant based and accept it, but I get the eye rolls and "what do you eat for protein" question, and have handouts for those interested. I explain its a life choice, they can eat however they want, but I love my diet. I am aware that the curriculum is not plant based so we learn all choices!

It is so very hard to work with teens as their diet is typically horrible! I can't control what they do!

Good luck, and keep it up!

Posted Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Do you do any of the cooking? Pick some favorites and make them - tell him they're "Side dishes" for him to try alongside whatever it is he's having. We do this often when going to family dinners (like Thanksgiving!) We'll make a 'side dish' that's vegan and really yummy - that will be my entrée but it's available for anyone else to have alongside their meat and potatoes and white bread dinner rolls. We've done mac and 'not cheese' with veggies and beans mixed in (white beans work well, as they don't add a jarring contrast to the look of it); we've done quinoa chickpea pilaf with greens; hmm I know we've done other stuff but I don't remember what all it was. Basically, we make what we enjoy eating that is eye catching and tasty for non-veg folks.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

StarlaMaree wrote:

I'm going vegan again on May 3rd!
I'm the only vegan I know.
My boyfriend thinks food is something that comes from a box.
I'm a nutrition consultant and still cant seem to get through to him.

HELP! I need Ideas.
I live at his house 75% of the time and I need to be able to feed myself as well as stay away from what he is "cooking".

Hi StarlaMaree,

You're not alone! We're here - Cool - and isn't that the beauty of the Kickstart Community?

You say you need ideas - what exactly do you mean? Meal ideas abound here in the 21-Day Program - I've also got the Plant-Based Blueprint you may find a helpful resource. But maybe by 'ideas' you mean something else?

We're here!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Congrats, I started a vegan diet on May 3rd too! I've never tried being even a vegetarian before so this is a big change for me. Like you, my husband is not vegan. He is very much a meat eater but luckily for me he likes to cook so we usually make our own meals when we get hungry. One meal we do enjoy making together is pizza on Friday nights. I put non-dairy cheese and veggies on my side and he puts whatever he wants on his side.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 313 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: fatgmama

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org