21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Not new - weight not coming off?
Created on: 03/13/13 10:52 AM Views: 1679 Replies: 6
Not new - weight not coming off?
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

This isn't a new topic.

I have been following 21 day quite successfully since January 15 but can't seem to shift the weight.

I have 80 lbs to lose and it is mostly abdominal/visceral fat.

After an initial slow weight loss of 10 lbs., I feel better and sleep better but still bloated at times and no weight loss for past 2 weeks. This is very discouraging and has me somewhat depressed and craving soothing comfort foods which for me aren't healthy choices.

I am using myfitnesspal.com to track intake and have been keeping to a 1200 cal/day regime.

Any suggestions?

RE: Not new - weight not coming off?
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You didn't say if you were exercising. Water intake makes a big difference with weight loss too.

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Also, watching where those calories are coming from too - I notice that when I slip the proportions around to more grains and fewer greens, weight loss is harder/slower than the reverse. When I flip back to lots of veggies, some beans, and grains to round it out things work better than if I have more grains and use the veggies as 'side dishes' so to speak.

Water is definitely critical.

I've also found, for myself (YMMV) that setting a calorie range too low is setting myself up for problems. Instead, I figure out approx what my maintenance range for my *target* weight and just aim for that. It may be a bit slower but it's something I can stick with for the long haul and by the time I reach my target, it will be habit. 1200 calories is not a long term maintenance range unless one's best weight is somewhere under 120 lbs.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I had a similar experience. The most significant obstacle for me was a particular medication that I was taking for Type 2 diabetes (Glipizide). I did some research and discovered that it can make weight loss difficult for some people. My doctor felt my concern was legitimate and switched me to a different medication. I have started to lose weight since the switch, whereas previously the scale would not budge.

Also, I do believe that some exercise such as walking can nudge the scale a bit. I am not very disciplined at it, but when I talk myself into walking, I do experience more success.

Finally, I also have the abdominal/visceral fat issue. I researched the best way to reduce that. It seems that interval training along with dietary changes have the greatest success at reducing deep abdominal fat. By"interval" I believe it means that, for example, when you walk, at various intervals you would insert a burst of, say, speed walking, into the regimen. Obviously, if you haven't done much walking, you would first just get yourself in shape for walking only, before embarking upon any type of interval training (and be sure your doctor says it is ok).

This all presumes that your caloric intake is limited, which a truly plant-based diet is by its very nature. That's the beauty of it.

I am in a similar situation and have been extremely discouraged in the past. Don't be! This can be done. Stay in touch!

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestions.

I am under 5 feet tall and do need to weight under 120.
myfitnesspal.com set the 1200 cal goal. I do a 45 minute aquafitness 3 x a week and walk 20 minutes daily. Arthritis limits my exercise.

I believe the current view that all liquid counts so I do hit the 1.5 litre liquid goal daily, water, tea, broth.

Point taken about the grains. I'll be more careful there.

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

also keep in mind that caffeinated beverages can have a diuretic effect so you basically end up losing water at the same time. And, too, for some people, caffeinated beverages (even tea) contribute to feeling a bit more hungry which might throw off sticking to your target because you'll feel like snacking more often. I know that if I have just a plain ole cup of tea, it tends to create that grumbly feeling which feels like "hungry" even though it's more likely just the reaction of my stomach to the acidity in the beverage.
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I too am under 5'. I go below 1200 all the time, I'm not sure how this guideline deleloped, I don't think it is right for me. I listen to my body regarding calories, some days I eat more and some days I don't. I never skip meals nor let myself go hungry. I always have a snack with me (apple, handful of nuts, etc.)

What I do watch for is eating a variety of plant foods, all colors and types. I hardly ever just eat one type of food alone. I love trying new things. I've learned to make veggie burgers in lots of different flavors (these make good snacks too if rushed during the day). My panini maker puts nice grill lines on them too..hehe.

I've never felt better physically in my life. I can't believe I'll be 59 this summer. My acupucturist ran some tests on me recently and she said my body is 35 years old. I think I will buy me a nice expensive bikini for this summer!!

Just don't give up and don't beat yourself up if results aren't fast enough. You never know how much healing is going on before your body decides to let go of some fat. Our fat was designed to protect us, from the cold, from starvation, and from disease too.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 362 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org