21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Fish Oil Capsules
Created on: 03/30/12 02:13 PM Views: 1220 Replies: 5
Fish Oil Capsules
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Hello to you all from a new vegan. One nagging question - I have fibromyalgia and have been taking one 1000 mg fish oil capsule daily for symptoms. The capsule has 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA and the results have been very helpful. How do I convert over to flax oil? The capsules I've looked at don't even reference DHA or EPA. Thanks for any suggestions.

RE: Fish Oil Capsules
Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I also have Fibromyalgia & am currently in remission with Lupus and they also want me on the fish oil capsules. Have been on the fench about it, since I've also had a fatty liver, thinking "fat is fat?" Would love some input on this as well

Craftycat - Southern, CA
~Isaiah 43: 18 & 19 - "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!"

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM

There are vegan EPA/DHA supplements that you can purchase in stores or online. You may find you need even less to feel better when eating a low-fat, vegan diet.

Remember, these are blood thinners, so use with caution and in conjunction with a health care professional's oversight.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

That's interesting Susan, have never heard of them being "blood thinners" before. Thanks for the info

Craftycat - Southern, CA
~Isaiah 43: 18 & 19 - "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!"

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I also take fish oil capsules. One concern I have about changing over to Flax oil or any other source is that I've read that it is important that the percent of EPA/DHA of any supplement be a minimum of 50%-70%. Does anyone have any ideas how the percentages stack up when comparing fish oils to vegan sources? I've discovered that most bottles do not list the percentage, requiring you do the math yourself, or in some cases don't list anything beyond the DHA/EPA totals, leaving you unable to determine the overall percentage.

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I also have fibromalgia. Although my symptoms are not completely gone, they are completely manageable with eating vegan, with no medications nor supplements.

My pain levels were drastically reduced when I cut out all dairy products. One little hidden ingredient of that nasty stuff and my pain comes galloping back. Unless I just over do, my pain is almost gone. The fatigue is there, but much less.

I wish you success and health

Best wishes

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 265 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org