21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vegan Wine Nite!
Created on: 03/13/13 06:44 PM Views: 3217 Replies: 10
Vegan Wine Nite!
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I will be hosting a Vegan Wine Nite on April 5th. I wanted to do somewhat of a coming out party Laughing ....and in a fun way maybe open up the doors for some of them to join me in this lifestyle change as well. I've send out the invites and I'm surprised on how many are excited about it. My question is, what wines are vegan. My friends are asking questions on what kind of wine to bring and of course foods...I got the food part but need to educate myself and my friends on wine... Why are some wines not vegan??? Rolling Eyes

RE: Vegan Wine Nite!
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM

There are a couple of reasons wine might not be considered vegan. One reason has to do with using eggs in the processing. Don't ask me how or why!

But here is an excellent resource to find vegan alcohol:

http://www.barnivore.com/

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Wow, I love this site.

I just found out about vegan wines. I just assumed they were vegan.

I went to the Health Expo West in Anahiem this past weekend and had some vegan/organic wine from Frey Vineyard. I had the Cabernet Sauvignon, was good but I'm not a wine drinker usually. They also had a pinot noir, which is still unopened.

I don't know if BevMo would have organic/vegan wines but they might. They are out there and it's a growing business.

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I found this regarding vegan wines...

"What are Fining Agents?

Since ancient times, fining agents have been added to a barrel or tank of wine to help clarify and stabilize the wine. They drift through the wine, pick up solid matter, and eventually sink to the bottom of the container. Common fining agents include hydrolyzed wheat gluten isolate, pea protein isolate, casein (milk protein), gelatin, egg whites, fish glue, and natural bentonite clay. Once the fining agent settles at the bottom, the clarified wine is siphoned off the top, leaving behind the residue, which is discarded. Although no trace of these products is found in the bottled wine, some consumers may object to their use."

So now we know Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Thanks, Anita!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM

And post if you need some vegan snack ideas too to go with the wine. I know I have a few recipes that went over well with omnivorous guests!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM

MiniVegan wrote:

And post if you need some vegan snack ideas too to go with the wine. I know I have a few recipes that went over well with omnivorous guests!
that would be awesome send them over

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM

MiniVegan wrote:

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM

anita wrote:

I found this regarding vegan wines...

"What are Fining Agents?

Since ancient times, fining agents have been added to a barrel or tank of wine to help clarify and stabilize the wine. They drift through the wine, pick up solid matter, and eventually sink to the bottom of the container. Common fining agents include hydrolyzed wheat gluten isolate, pea protein isolate, casein (milk protein), gelatin, egg whites, fish glue, and natural bentonite clay. Once the fining agent settles at the bottom, the clarified wine is siphoned off the top, leaving behind the residue, which is discarded. Although no trace of these products is found in the bottled wine, some consumers may object to their use."

So now we know Very Happy

Makes sense....

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Maryal22 wrote:

MiniVegan wrote:

I think the recipe is on Day 1, the baked marinated chickpeas. Not sure if it really goes with wine but they came out amazing! I'll be making that dish again for my next party.
And this link from Dr. McDougall has wonderful vegan brownies that I've since made at least four times. I [/i]know[i] chocolate goes with wine Smile
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/jul/recipes.htm

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Thank you I will try it out.... Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 116 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: blackcarl2

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org