21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: not having good appetite this week
Created on: 02/25/14 01:55 AM Views: 687 Replies: 9
not having good appetite this week
Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Did / do any of you have a hard time with appetite or not really sure if you're hungry or not? when you were first adjusting to a vegan diet?

Though I've been trying this kickstart since the end of January / beginning of this month, I am still needing to read labels carefully - but I'm finding the dairy cravings are falling, the more I avoid it from my diet.

However this week I don't know what's going on w/ my appetite. Yesterday I didn't feel completely satisfied with any of my meal / snacks, today I haven't had appetite at all. I had some whole wheat bread yesterday with smart balance, that was actually vegan / dairy free. but could this item / product not be good for my stomach, despite being dairy free?

RE: not having good appetite this week
Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I know exactly what you mean. There are some days when I just don't feel satisfied and want to eat constantly and other days I'm just fine. I don't know if it is because I ate too many carbs for breakfast or maybe I exercised more the day before or maybe just the weather, the moon - who knows.

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Try a big glass of water. Often, what feels like unsatisfied/unsatisfiable hunger is actually thirst. Weird isn't it? I also find that I get massive chocolate cravings if I have had less water than usual (like if I'm running around doing errands instead of at my desk at work with a big mug of water or herbal tea always by my side).

Also, don't skimp on the herbs and spices in recipes - plain rice and beans is blah and boring, and you'll feel less satisfied than if there's a little pizzazz to it - whether it's curry or chili or basil or whatever you like, having a little yum to it is important. Make sure all of those little taste buds are being active - even sweet (cinnamon for example).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Thanks. Great tips. I will try them right now as I am looking for more to eat after a huge salad w/ sunflower seeds, peas and dressing. More than enough food.

Posted Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Thanks guys! The idea with the spices is good. I think with the stomach, i am sure it was an accidental ingesting of some dairy, as I say I'm still realizing how important it is to read labels super carefully. Things are so misleading when they are labeled as 'dairy free' or 'veggie' but actually contain casein, whey, or other ingredients like this.

Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Smart balance is not vegan and contains some dairy. Try Earth balance instead!

Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 7:36 AM

you have to read the labels because there is one variety of Smart Balance that is vegan - but not all of them are.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

you're right! Ironic enough, it is the 'light' kind that is vegan! It even says on the label, and has no hydrogenated oils. don't know if there are other vegan kinds but the one with flaxseed oil specifically is vegan.

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM

I find myself hungry all the time even after a really big salad. help... or sometimes I dont want to eat. I am a diabetic so i do have to eat. any suggestions on what to eat that will keep me fulfilled. Smile I am on my 9th day of being vegan. Doing it for health reasons, I have my 22 year old doing this with me. she is sticking to it (but dont know if she is when she is out with friends) I do all the cooking. Made a black bean soup tonight for dinner. any help would be great. Smile

Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:20 AM

I find myself hungry all the time even after a really big salad. help... or sometimes I dont want to eat. I am a diabetic so i do have to eat. any suggestions on what to eat that will keep me fulfilled. Smile I am on my 9th day of being vegan. Doing it for health reasons, I have my 22 year old doing this with me. she is sticking to it (but dont know if she is when she is out with friends) I do all the cooking. Made a black bean soup tonight for dinner. any help would be great. Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 113 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org