21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: What's everyone eating lately?
Created on: 02/10/12 10:25 AM Views: 1781 Replies: 9
What's everyone eating lately?
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Any new, fun, tasty stuff? Tried something for the first time and loved it? New recipes, cookbooks, websites that are great?

We're loving golden beets right now - they seem to impart an almost buttery flavor to soups and hashes, not quite as deeply earthy as their red cousins, more mellow.

--Deb R

RE: What's everyone eating lately?
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I may have to try those. I don't like the red ones one little bit.

I have been trying new things. Mom will be here the 1st of the month and we are gearing up to do macrobiotics. So... I have been trying out some new things like bancha tea, diakon, burdock etc...I haven't started the cooking yet, I should, but I have been trying to eat up the things she can't have. I will have lots of new things to report next month though!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Saw burdock at both the farmer's market and the co-op market a few weeks ago. Had an interesting chat with the person at the farmer's market about what it is, what it's used for, how to cook/prepare it.

If you can find the golden beets, definitely give them a try. They are more akin to turnips or parsnips maybe than to red beets. We like them because they don't turn the soup fuchsia Laughing The tops and peels go into the soup stock and the diced beets go into the soup.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Lately I've been eating a lot of dried white mulberries. They're a dried fruit that basically tastes like toffee popcorn.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Toffee popcorn?? I am in! Yum!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

We didn't have enough snow to crosscountry ski last weekend so instead I cooked. From Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes book(I am not diabetic-you don't have to be to love this book), on page 209 I made the Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup. I don't like sweet potatoes that much but I absolutely Loved Loved this soup. Its excellent. I will definitely make this again.

I also made the Seared Zucchini Sandwich with Roasted Red Pepper White Bean Spread from the Food for Life video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubXTSVMJmM&list=UUeG_mLSDv2OYVI24-aZLgUw&index=14&feature=plcp and it is fabulous! Before the kickstarts I never ate zucchini but this is really great.

Last weekend I also tried Chef Toni Fiore(from Dr. Neal Barnard's video) recipe for French Toast. Bread, non-dairy milk, cinnamon, and vanilla are the only ingredients and it is wonderful.

I also tried steel cut oatmeal for the first time last weekend and it is very good.

Also, last weekend I learned how to cut a pineapple(from Aldi's) by following this video: http://cleananddelicious.com/2012/01/11/the-easiest-way-to-cut-a-pineapple/ It worked out perfectly.

Edited 02/10/12 5:42 PM
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Here's a 3 ingredient recipe I came up with:

Yesterday for dinner I cooked a spaghetti squash with instruction from this video: http://cleananddelicious.com/2008/09/29/spaghetti_squash_101_video/ which made it super easy and quick.

Then I heated up a jar of Muir Glen Organic Portabello Mushroom pasta sauce(Mrs. Esselstyn's idea because this particular one contains no oil). Then I added a lot of kale that I broke up into pieces. I stirred up together the pasta sauce, kale, and spaghetti squash strands and it turned out delicious.

It was the first time I tried this all together and it worked out beautifully and I am so happy I ate nutritious kale which this way tasted great. Perfect for a beginner cook like myself and for someone too busy or too tired to cook.

Edited 02/11/12 7:07 AM
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I have recently purchased farro from Costco, of all places, and am making a kind of veggie salad with it today. It is nutty,chewy and very yummy. I also bought chia seeds but haven't tried them yet. I was going to put them in morning oatmeal and maybe in yogurt . . . does anyone else use them in any recipes?

Best, C.

I have recently purchased farro from Costco, of all places, and am making a kind of veggie salad with it today. It is nutty,chewy and very yummy. I also bought chia seeds but haven't tried them yet. I was going to put them in morning oatmeal and maybe in yogurt . . . does anyone else use them in any recipes?

Best, C.

Best, C.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 529 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org