21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Disaster Plan
Created on: 02/10/12 05:15 PM Views: 2951 Replies: 7
Disaster Plan
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

What would you do if you were stuck in your home or your basement during a snow blizzard or thunderstorm, hurricane, or other event and lost power and didn't have electricity or gas to cook or heat food for a few hours or a couple days? Do you have any non-perishable plant-based food you could eat? All I have is a gallon of water and a can of vegetarian baked beans, no can opener and no spoon(soon to change). Do you have any ideas on what would be good to stock for an emergency plan? Are you prepared? I have been worried about this.

Edited 02/10/12 7:18 PM
RE: Disaster Plan
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Well, at the risk of exposing my "homesteading geek" side I must confess that I have a canning cupboard in my basement (about the size of the Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs) and I have stocked it with vegetable soup, Asian lettuce soup, zucchini soup, vegan baked beans, vegan barbecued beans with TVP, vegetable goulash, Vegan split pea soup, all sorts of canned veggies... carrots, kale, spinach, green beans, beats and mixed veggies, tomatoes, sauerkraut, pickles and jam. All vegan and all canned in my own kitchen. Plus we have crates of fresh onions, sweet potatoes, potatoes and winter squash as well as bulk white and brown rice, pinto beans, black beans, wheat and barley.

As for water, instead of buying bottled water we save bottles from juice and 2 liter seltzer water bottles, rinse them with hot water and a dropper of bleach and then fill them with tap water and store them. We rotate them out twice a year and that way we don't waste the bottles and don't have to pay extra for bottled water in an emergency.

What can I say... I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse Very Happy

Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I always keep 4 days worth of granola and soy milk in my bedroom.

This is mainly for those times when I get hoards of screaming women camping outside my house because they've mistaken me for Orlando Bloom, but it would also serve me well in the event of a snow-in or hurricane.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

veganer wrote:

What would you do if you were stuck in your home or your basement during a snow blizzard or thunderstorm, hurricane, or other event and lost power and didn't have electricity or gas to cook or heat food for a few hours or a couple days? Do you have any non-perishable plant-based food you could eat? All I have is a gallon of water and a can of vegetarian baked beans, no can opener and no spoon(soon to change). Do you have any ideas on what would be good to stock for an emergency plan? Are you prepared? I have been worried about this.

Well, being in New England, having some plan in mind, if not in stock, is part of living here. We have a well and septic so water goes out if the electricity goes out regardless of whether the town has water or not. One big thing that I've seen people not plan for is OPENING all those cans of beans they stock - they forget that their only can opener is ELECTRIC! Laughing We actually have ONLY a manual can opener. We've never run out of propane from the tank out back and the gas burners can be lit with a match or fireplace starter (we always have both). Plus we make sure to have a few bundles of accessible firewood for the fireplace.

As far as food stocks, one thing we've noticed is that during the power outages, we've never had to fret over all the nasty rotten meat and dairy in the fridge...cause we don't have any! We pack the freezer as tightly as we can with frozen veg and such and it stays quite cold for up to 3 or 4 days, provided we don't open it much. We stock almond milk (shelf stable until opened and tolerable for a day after that) and lots of cold cereal and oatmeal (which can be mixed with water and left overnight to soften in lieu of cooking). Canned and fresh fruit definitely. We'll also cook up a batch of beans and a batch of rice ahead of time and stash in portioned containers in the fridge (which we stash a few bags of ice in to help stay cold). We'll make up a batch of granola balls (PB, oats, dried fruit, chocolate chips) as they are very shelf stable and have all the basics - protein, fat, sugar, fiber - to keep going in a pinch. We'll make some form of bread product (often whole wheat tortillas) and that goes with PB, jam, whatever we've got (or just plain if necessary). And, too, what season it is plays a part as well - winter outages generally mean that we can stash things outside on the deck off the kitchen to stay cold; summer means we need more water and more ice.

But, fortunately, in the 10 1/2 yrs in this house, we've lost power for no more than 72 hours at a time. We lost power for about that long during Tropical Storm Irene last summer and didn't lose power at all during "Snowmageddon" this past October - both events where most of our town was out for 7-10 days. We're on an odd 'twig' of the trunk line running between two substations so even if power blips, they get us running again as soon as the substations are back online.

--Deb R

Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I wish I could say I had lots of home canned foods in my basement but alas, no basement. I have discovered, for those of us without the time, space or inclination, a brand of dried backpacking meals that include some vegetarian and vegan choices. You just add water to reconstitue as if you were hiking in the middle of nowhere and camping out overnight.

Its not my first choice compared to a nice home cooked meal but they taste pretty good after a long hike when feeling really hungry and I think they will taste pretty good in an emergency situation when they is nothing else on offer. Check out your local camping/outdoors store to see what food they have available.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 02/12/12 6:40 PM
Posted Friday, February 17, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of your wonderful ideas!

My supply of one can of vegetarian baked beans and water has grown now to include small cans of fruit and vegetables(if can't refrigerate after opening), little cans of vegetable juice, can of fat free refried beans and jar of salsa, pack of tortillas, small can of chickpeas, oatmeal, and those 1/2 cups of unsweetened applesauce, (applesauce and oatmeal tastes pretty good mixed together), a whole bunch of plastic spoons, 2 bowls, and of course, the manual can-opener. That's a start anyway and I have peace of mind.

Thanks!

Posted Friday, February 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

There are also good references online to disaster/emergency preparedness. Just adjust things like "canned tuna" to something like "canned chickpeas", but otherwise they're good for getting the outline of what and how much (like how much water to calculate per person to cover drinking and hygiene). You'd also want to have first aid supplies, several days' worth of any prescription medicines, seasonal clothing and blankets, and CASH - if power is out, ATMs, debit cards, credit cards are all off line. You'd also want to make sure the car has a full tank of gas (gas pumps run on electricity as well) and a full gas can for back up (for car or snowblower) plus additional if you've got a diesel powered generator. Also, if it's something that might require evacuation (as in leaving the house, not as in 'oh sh*t that's a big storm Laughing ), you'd want to pack suitcases, including not only clothing, first aid and medication, but also any important hard to replace papers that you might need (insurance information, social security cards/passports for ID, marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc). If I had a day or so to prepare (and, except for tornadoes, there's usually warning), I'd make a list of all the utilities and such (electric company, name, account number, company's contact info; oil company; gas company; mortgage company; credit card and bank info; etc) so that I'd have that available if the house was blown away or crushed or flooded to the roofline. I'd be able to contact everyone and get things sorted out (eventually). It'd be way harder if I had to go by memory and guesswork.

--Deb R

Posted Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Great ideas for disaster planning. I have a red binder with all of my most important papers, ready to pull out of the closet and run. I have included a copy of a typed grocery list that I use to plan for grocery shopping which lists all of the plant-based foods I might need. I have some special ingredients marked with the initials of the store where I found them. In the binder I think I will also include a copy of some of my most favorite plant-based recipes!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 122 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org