21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Grocery Shopping Questions
Created on: 03/31/12 12:22 PM Views: 1857 Replies: 9
Grocery Shopping Questions
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I started grocery shopping for the 21-Day Meal Plan and have some questions on recipe ingredients:

Day 1: For the Oatmeal Banana Bites recipe it lists oat flour. What is oat flour? is it something you can buy in the store or can I grind up some oatmeal to make it?
What is grated nutmeg? What's nutmeg look like? If I can't find it can I use ground nutmeg?

Day 2: For the Curried Tomato Lentil Soup, what are fenugreek seeds? where can I get them? I didn't see them with the spices/herbs in the store. Can I order them online? what is berbere? can I use any curry powder if I can't find berere?

Day 3: For Blue Corn Chip Salad, are all blue corn chips baked? If I can't find baked ones can I used the corn tortilla chips in Mary McDougall's recipe instead? What is blue corn, anyway?

Day 6: For the Chai Spice Pancakes, what are ground cloves? you don't mean garlic cloves, right. are they usually with the other spices?

Thanks for the varied and interesting recipes. Great opportunity to try something new.

Edited 03/31/12 12:23 PM
RE: Grocery Shopping Questions
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Most of what you are missing are spices. You should find them in the spice section of your grocery store. This is the case for
cloves, fenugreek and nutmeg. If you find whole nutmeg, it looks like a large nut, it is better as freshly ground nutmeg is devine.

You may find these spices in the local bulk barn if you have such a thing.

I would try grinding oatmeal if you can't find flour. Do you have a bulk foods store... you might find the flour there.

I haven't heard of berbere either. Here is what Wkik says:

Berbere (Amharic: ???? berber?, Tigrinya: ???? berbere) is a spice mixture whose ingredients usually include chili peppers, garlic, ginger, dried basil, korarima, rue, white and black pepper, and fenugreek.[1][2] It is a key ingredient in the cuisines of Ethiopia and Eritrea.

I would mix my own as close as possible.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

1. Your local health food store should have oat flour but if you cannot locate that you can make your own by blending 1 1/4 cups of rolled oats (oatmeal) in your blender to make 1 cup of oat flour. You can substitute ground nutmeg for grated.

2. Fenugreek seeds can be hard to locate without a store that carries a good choice of international foods. It is an Indian spice. Generally, if you cannot locate them just leave them out. Berebere is African so the same applies. it can be difficult to locate sometimes. It is NOT the same as curry. But here is a good substitute recipe:
Berbere Substitute
Ingredients:
2 tsp. Whole Cumin
1-2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp. Cardamom Seeds (or 1/3-1/2 tsp. Ground Cardamom)
1 tsp. Fenugreek Seeds (leave out if you can't find)
8 Whole Pepercorns
6 All Spice Berries (or 1/4-1/2 tsp. Ground All Spice)
4 Whole Cloves
3-4 New Mexico Dried Chiles
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Tumeric
1/2-1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Steps:
1) Toast Whole Spices in skillet until they give off their aroma (2-3 minutes)
2) Toast the Chiles until soft and flexible, being careful not to burn them
3) Remove stems and seeds from Chiles and chop
4) Grind toasted Whole Spices and chopped Chiles into powder
5) Add remaining ingredients and mix well

3. Blue corn is just a different colored variety of corn. It's just blue instead of yellow. use any baked corn chip to substitute.

4. Ground cloves is a very basic spice you will be able to find at any grocery store. It is used in baking everything from pumpkin pies to coffee cake. it is a dark brown powder. Make sure to get ground and not whole cloves for this recipe.

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Where does the "Veggie Slices" cheese fall into all of this? Sometimes you just need a grilled cheese sammich with that tomato soup! Smile

And peanut butter? Is the Adams No Stir allowed???

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Cara... they're allowed, veggie cheese and peanut butter that is, as long as they contain no dairy (like casein in the cheese) and you make sure you understand that both products are primarily fats. Too much of either and you end up gaining weight on your vegan "diet".

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Cara, it is just three weeks. Natural peanut butter is vegan but it isn't low fat! I love it too, so I know what you mean.

Do you like those veggie cheese substitutes? I think the word here is that meat substitutes as a transition food is fine if you need it... check that the brand you like does not contain casein, or is too fatty. You will find that many "vegetarian" products have casein, which comes from dairy and happens to be THE element of dairy that shows up to be the villain in the China Study. These products are not vegan, and not healthy.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Here my answers to your questions

1. Since I have ground nutmeg at home (I have never bought the actual nutmeg for grinding but maybe itis worth to try) I will use that. Here are some pictures http://www.google.com/search?q=nutmeg+pictures&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

2. I found fenugreek seed "pills" among the herbal medicines. I couldn't find berbere so I will use curry instead.

3. Guiltless Gourmet makes baked blue corn chips and our grocery store sells it.

4. Cloves are tiny bud like spices and they are rather strong. You can chew them to overcome the garlic smell.

Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Thanks all. I will check out the cheeses. Yes, I know they are fattening, and I rarely eat them, but sometimes grilled cheese with soup is a MUST. I DO live in Alaska. Wink

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Madeline, SpongeBobFishpants, Cara, and Yesim,

Thank you for all of your good information! I was able to accomplish more because of your help.

I went back to the store and I was able to find ground cloves(saw the dark powder). I found the whole nutmeg and I'll grate it with a microplane. I looked for Guiltless Gourmet chips but my local stores don't have this brand so I will probably make them out of corn tortillas. Interesting about berbere. Now I know what it is and how to make it. I'll use my little Cooks blender grinder blade to make oatmeal into oat flour. I had checked the bulk bins but the selection is limited here. There is an Indian grocery store not too far from here and I bet they have fenugreek. Looks like vitacost.com has it too. Hope the information you gave helps some others too.

Thanks again!

Edited 04/01/12 4:32 PM
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Veganer, I was able to find oat flour at Whole Foods (with vegan chocolate chips located conveniently nearby!)

I just finished making the stew (I work in an office, so will have to make lunches the night or morning before) - I couldn't find berebere or fenugreek seeds anywhere except online, and it would have taken too long to get them. So I just used curry powder, with a bit of cayenne and some red pepper flakes. I think it turned out very good - I was skeptical about the potatoes cooking in 5 minutes, and they didn't - maybe I was supposed to turn the heat up, but it didn't say in the recipe. I just cooked it on low a bit longer and all is well.

I'll have to saute my zuchinni before work, because I'm tired now - and I'll make the banana oat bites after work. This is a LOT more cooking than I am used to doing, but I'm enjoying it, and I enjoyed the shopping.

I will definitely order some berebere and fenugreek seeds online for next time I make the stew. I love Ethiopian food, and although this is good, it doesn't taste like Ethiopian (since I didn't have the correct ingredients).

Mary

Edited 04/02/12 2:50 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 471 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: gamehen1, pamedallas

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org