21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: No smoothies??
Created on: 06/21/13 10:29 PM Views: 4996 Replies: 25
No smoothies??
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Now i'm confused about advice re. smoothiesSad

from Dr. Esselstyn's site:

Smoothies – How about smoothies? I love them!
Avoid smoothies. The fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are destroyed. The sugar is stripped from the fruit, bypasses salivary digestion and results in a surge of glucose and the accompanying fructose contributes to inflammation and hypertension.

But....smoothies are on the kickstart diet...and I've read that using a Vitamix to pulverize foods for smoothies helps release nutrient availability....just like w/ olive oil, there are markedly different expert opinions.....

Edited 06/21/13 10:30 PM
RE: No smoothies??
Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

As in everything, experts' opinions are going to vary. Why? We're all human who come at this point from various life experiences. For example, my father is 79 years old and is having difficulty swallowing solid food. I got a blender for my mother and gave her recipes for smoothies. At least this way Dad is getting some nutrition and calories. You must choose what is right for you and go from there.

Jen

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I agree with Jen. Experts and others may agree in general but vary in specific recommendations. Ultimately, we are all trying to get people to eat more plants in order to reduce their risk for chronic diseases. Most Americans would do well to incorporate more fruit and vegetables in their diets. Would it be better to chew whole foods than blend them into a drink? Probably. But let's give people options to get there.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 06/22/13 12:14 PM
Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Susan-I certainly appreciate more fruits/vegetables in any way is better than less, tho wonder if you think certain foods are indeed less nutrient dense when blended? This reminds me in some ways of things I've read about some foods being depleted of their nutrients when heated (if you have any recommendations re. this, too, please share). Thank you for your helpSmile

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Just to chime in my 2 cents...

Sometimes when starting out this maybe the only way to get in some veggies and fruits for kids or to await the taste bud changes. Sometimes it is just "extra". Other than watching the calorie load, I find them a wonderful treat, especially when hot.

You can hide a crazy amount of veggies in one for kids or picky eaters, even if a few nutrients are lost I would think that what is left is better than none at all! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I agree with Bugsmom.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

theodore wrote:

I agree with Bugsmom.

I don't see her post....

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Oceandog wrote:

I don't see her post....

Neither do I. But I know how she feels about smoothies.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

theodore wrote:

Oceandog wrote:
I don't see her post....

Neither do I. But I know how she feels about smoothies.

You always make me laugh! I love smoothies too. My sister is deaf and we made up our own sign for them. Very Happy

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Oceandog wrote:

My sister is deaf and we made up our own sign for them.

Sorry to hear about your sister, Oceandog. What sign did you come up with ?

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Hmmm how do I describe it....

with your dominant hand, make an "s" (looks like a fist with the thumb in front, across the front of the fingers)

Then move the hand in a "scooping motion" (think opposite of eating an ice cream cone so the movement is upwards instead of downwards) twice.

ASL and BSL are different, so not sure this makes sense! Smile

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Oceandog wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that there are differences. The word smoothie has a completely different meaning in America than it does in Britain. In Britain it means a smooth operator. Hugh Grant type. So be careful what you ask for. A green smoothie is basically a smooth operator who only travels by train or boat.

FWIW, I don't think Dr Esselstyn is against green smoothies.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I'm all for avoiding Hugh Grant typesWink

My concern has to do w/ whether or not high speed blending destroys nutrients--one of the primary reasons I got the super expensive Vitamix was b/c it's been touted to break down plants' cell walls making nutrients more likely to be absorbed, tho when I read Dr. Esselstyn's post, it seemed contrary. Again, I certainly appreciate more plants in any (nonpoisonous) form is better than none, yet wish to better understand the reasons for seemingly very conflicting stances re. nutrient availability pre- and post-pulverizingSmile

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

theodore wrote:

Oceandog wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that there are differences. The word smoothie has a completely different meaning in America than it does in Britain. In Britain it means a smooth operator. Hugh Grant type. So be careful what you ask for. A green smoothie is basically a smooth operator who only travels by train or boat.

FWIW, I don't think Dr Esselstyn is against green smoothies.

If I travel there, I will make sure to remember this. I can't imagine the disappointment of going in for a fresh fruit smoothie and leaving with the likes of a Hugh Grant. Shocked

Apparently I should have said triplicate post... better check to make sure there aren't any more!

Edited 06/23/13 10:42 AM

duplicate post, sorry

Edited 06/23/13 10:40 AM
Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

christl wrote:

My concern has to do w/ whether or not high speed blending destroys nutrients--one of the primary reasons I got the super expensive Vitamix was b/c it's been touted to break down plants' cell walls making nutrients more likely to be absorbed, tho when I read Dr. Esselstyn's post, it seemed contrary. Again, I certainly appreciate more plants in any (nonpoisonous) form is better than none, yet wish to better understand the reasons for seemingly very conflicting stances re. nutrient availability pre- and post-pulverizingSmile

I have a vitamix also and love it. I don't consume smoothies daily, as I am one that continually struggles with an 30 extra pounds.

I think there has long been a controversy with this, and the concern of to juice or not to juice. I can see the juicing side a bit more than the Vitamix/smoothie side, as with juicing the pulp is gone and with it a lot of important elements.

That said? I also believe that both of these methods on a plant based, whole foods diet is leaps and bounds beyond a SAD diet and practice them both.

In my basic opinion, I think that among any "group" of people, in this case the WFPB people, you will find varying opinions. But what is most important is that you continue to eat WFPB and view the nitpicking as a point of view, then selectively choose the very best you can do for you health and family. I know that isn't giving you the scientific explanation of things, but I have learned after living this lifestyle for nearly 23 years, there will always ALWAYS be someone who thinks "it" should be done differently. You are the only body you can completely take care of. Everyone else has to choose their own path.

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Thank you for your comments, Oceandog Very Happy

I've been vegetarian for many years and vegan (w/ a few small milk chocolate falls) for just over a month. I'm feeling very good re. this change, both b/c of living more in accordance w/ my values re. concerns about nonhuman animals and the health of the planet at large, as well as re. my improved health (I've lost 12 pounds, tho still have quite some way to go)! In the beginning, I over-ate dark chocolate and nut butters--have cut back on both w/ not much trouble. I had been eating pizza about 4 days a week, yet organic vegan sandwiches are now my new lunch normal Smile

I definitely appreciate your perspective/experiences. Dr. Esselsyn's stance re. blending and absolutely no added oil seemed like a marathon after already completing one.....hearing encouraging words are very helpful to me during my journey in newly embraced veganhood so thanks again Very Happy

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

christl wrote:

My concern has to do w/ whether or not high speed blending destroys nutrients--one of the primary reasons I got the super expensive Vitamix was b/c it's been touted to break down plants' cell walls making nutrients more likely to be absorbed, tho when I read Dr. Esselstyn's post, it seemed contrary.

Dr Esselstyn has many recipes that involve blending beans and vegetables, eg in soups or hummus. The concern is only to do with pulverising high glycemic foods. Because the fibre becomes less effective at regulating the glucose content of the food. This concern is present throughout the wholefood plant-based world in varying degrees. For instance PCRM recommends breads made from more coarsely ground grains like rye and pumpernickel. Dr Ess recommends minimising fruit smoothies etc.

The issue is never a deal breaker as far as I'm aware.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have also been confused, at times, by the variety of opinions within the plant-based community. I agree with much of what has been stated already in this thread.

When I have reflected upon the conflicting information, I remind myself of the fact that there are always going to be some small differences in opinions but that the overarching message--that a WFPB diet is the most healthy way to eat--is what I have to keep in mind. It is for that reason that I, too, recently invested in a Vitamix.

There are those who believe that the process of making smoothies opens up the cells in the foods, much like the process of chewing. Others advocate eating only the whole form of fruits and veggies. Depending on my mood, time available, etc., I select the form (whole or smoothie) that I feel like having. Either way, I think I'm eating much better than I ever have before, or than most people eat.

Bottom line: A smoothie made with whole food plant-based ingredients is very healthy.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 315 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: anita

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org