21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: HYPOTHYROID + HIGH PTH (PARATHYROID HORMONE)
Created on: 11/18/13 10:57 AM Views: 215 Replies: 2
HYPOTHYROID + HIGH PTH (PARATHYROID HORMONE)
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

HYPOTHYROID + HIGH PTH (PARATHYROID)

HELP! CAN'T LOOSE WEIGHT!
It's my metabolism, n'est ce pas?

I have been on the Pritikin Diet for 28 years. It allows 300 mg of cholesterol a day after completion of their regression diet which allows none. My weight and blood work were always good before I moved to France.

Three weeks ago I became vegan in a desperate attempt to loose 20 pounds. I still cannot loose that weight which was gained after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism 1.5 years ago.
In my case, hypothyroidism is not due to an autoimmune disease.

My thyroid has shrank to a very small size. Maybe its because I am in France with all the nuclear energy?

Calories consummed are never more than 1200 a day, and average 1000 for years.

I am concerned about getting enough calcium since my "PTH" is 94. Presently, my calcium is in the normal range and my kidneys are fine.

I drink a liter and a half a day of Contrex water which contains calcium. I take a prescribed Vitamin D monthly due to having a high PTH.

My blood work is excellent (145 cholesterol, 84 Triglycerides. My blood is not my problem. It's my thyroid and my parathyroid.

My doctor told me to stop eating carbs altogether, and eat meat, chicken or fish.
She said slow burning carbs slows down my metabolism. She yelled at me for being on the "wrong" diet.

Does anyone else have a weight problem due to hypothyroidism?
If so, what did you do to correct it?

If anyone knows of a doctor in Paris, France who can help me, please let me know. The ones I work with know next to nothing about diet nor do the French nutritionists.

RE: HYPOTHYROID + HIGH PTH (PARATHYROID HORMONE)
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The carb diagnosis is totally off the wall, as is the suggestion to eat more fatty meat products. Yikes!

I can't diagnose the problem, clearly, but if I had a patient consuming 1000-1200 calories a day, I wouldn't be surprised that his/her body was hanging on to every morsel and calorie! You probably need more food and those foods should be fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. If you eat from these four food groups, and eliminate added fats/oils, then you can eat all you want, until full. I wouldn't be surprised to find that at this point you would lose weight and feel more satisfied.

More here: http://www.nutritionmd.org/consumers/diabetes_thyroid/hypothyroidism_nutrition.html

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: HYPOTHYROID + HIGH PTH (PARATHYROID HORMONE)
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

. If you eat from these four food groups, and eliminate added fats/oils, then you can eat all you want, until full. I wouldn't be surprised to find that at this point you would lose weight and feel more satisfied.
[/url]

I have often heard that if you restrict calories too much your body goes into starvation mode and refuses to lose weight. I've done what Susan says about eating as much as I want of the four food groups. I don't count calories, I don't measure foods, I eat till I'm full.

Over the course of about 23 months I've lost 40 pounds. (I didn't start eating vegan for my weight, although I was overweight, I did it for my health, so I wasn't anxious and weighing myself every day.) The weight came off very gradually and sometimes hit a plateau, but it did come off. And that was with NO restrictions on carbohydrates or calories.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 142 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: bewise88

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org