21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Cholesterol has gone UP !!
Created on: 02/11/12 12:41 PM Views: 1987 Replies: 8
Cholesterol has gone UP !!
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

A year ago my cholesterol was 156. Now it's 202!

Cholesterol 202
HDL 77
Triglycerides 95
LDL-Calculation 106 (what does calculation mean?)
Chol/HDL Ratio 2.6

Why would my cholesterol go up?

I am not on any medications for anything.

Should I be concerned?

Vikki ~

RE: Cholesterol has gone UP !!
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Do you have a breakdown from last year?

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I haven't been able to find it. I know the total was 156 and everything else was within the ranges that they list. My doctor was very pleased with it, said it was great. She has not yet commented on this year's numbers.

If and when I find it, I will post.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I am not an expert on cholesterol but it seems that the HDL is a "good" cholesterol and the LDL is bad? I was just wondering if the jump was the good stuff going up.

The last time I had mine checked, 10/2010, it was high also. I haven't been to a doctor since, so I have not had it rechecked.

I am curious to see what the previous numbers were and the advice that comes in for you.

Best wishes,

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I'm not sure if I trust those machines. One minute they say one thing, the next minute they say another. I would get a second reading.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Good point Theodore! Thank you.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My total is a little high BUT my doctor ignores that number because it's due to the higher than average HDL. Both my HDL and LDL are in the mid 70s. Total cholesterol is a calculated number that weights the various components, it's not a straight add-them-together number. Also, I'd want to know what they mean by "calculated" - it could be that they didn't determine it directly from the blood sample but used some formula based on the other numbers to get it.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM

There are so many variables. As you get older, your cholestrol goes up. What did you eat for the two weeks before the test? 202 is not bad. The drug companies have lowered the acceptable number so that they can sell more drugs. I wouldn't get upset about it.

Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

November and December I ate like a crazed cow. I mean, I stayed vegan, but way too much junk, way too much fat. My birthday was December 8 and everybody I know wanted to take me out to eat, AND I WENT !

My blood test was December 14th.

I'm going to make the assumption that it's just a combination of things and work on making sure the numbers are better next year. I know the numbers aren't that bad, I was just a bit shocked at the change, in the wrong direction.

My doctor is not concerned about it. The ratios are good, and I've been back to healthy eating since the holidays. I think when I make my appointment for next year I'll make it for long AFTER my birthday and the holidays.

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 585 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org