21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Hair loss
Created on: 04/01/12 05:03 PM Views: 1109 Replies: 3
Hair loss
Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I became vegetarian a few years ago and have slowly becoming vegan....ready to kick it off tomorrow! My question is, I have noticed more and more hair in the shower drain. It gets better for a while then back to losing it. I have friends that are vegan and have said it just comes with the territory. I make sure to take a multi-vitamin, I am very careful about making healthy food choices, etc. I have heard to add hemp seed or hemp seed oil to salads or shakes to help with this. Is it true? Thank you so much!

RE: Hair loss
Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hmm, no, losing hair is not part of the vegan diet. Losing hair, however, is associated with other biological issues including consuming too few calories. Make sure you are eating! If weight loss is a goal, it really should not be too much too fast.

Another sign that you are not eating enough is if you feel really hungry. When you eat low-fat and vegan, you get to eat all you want, so do just that!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Sometimes hair loss comes with age and with hormonal changes. I have noticed thinning hair for the last year, more in the shower than ever - long before going vegan. My physician checked and found I needed vitamin B and D, so I now take a prescription strength D supplement and OTC Super B. The hair thinning has slowed.....now if I could just get rid of these hot flashes!

--Sandy

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I'd rather go bald than support irresponsible medicine.

But I really don't think baldness has any connection to being vegan, and I've got a feeling Susan has just confirmed that (I'm in a real hurry so haven't had a chance to look properly).

Are you sure the hair isn't coming up through the plug hole ?

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 313 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org