21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Daily Nutrient Requirements
Created on: 04/01/12 07:20 PM Views: 467 Replies: 1
Daily Nutrient Requirements
Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Hi
I am hoping to lose some weight and I am wondering what nutrient requirements I should be aiming for, especially in terms of fats and carbs.

I understand that the protein requirements can be calculated according to (0.36*weight(lbs)) but I am also wondering what these are for carbohydrates and fat. I know that following a vegan diet can be very effective for weight loss especially because most of the foods are traditionally low in fat (ex. beans/veggies/fruits). Yet there are many fatty foods included in a vegan diet such as avocados/nuts/etc (and while these are healthy fats, we should not overdo it.)

Anyways, I am trying to design a vegan meal plan while restricting calories and when I enter my food choices on a calorie/nutrient tracker such as Calorie Count, I tend to have high levels of carbs even though these are mostly coming from whole grains and beans. So I am wondering if anyone has any information to share/ advice.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to starting this journey with you all!

RE: Daily Nutrient Requirements
Posted Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Dr Neal Bernard (founder of PCRM) has been heard to say that if you eat a low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet with lots of variety you do not have to count anything, and if you are overweight, you will lose, even if you are eating however much you wish, whenever you are hungry. Notice that he includes the term low-fat. You may be healthy, but you won't lose weight if you feast on avocados and cashews!

Don't be afraid of the "carbs" if you are eating whole grains.

Our obsession with the components of food can be foolhardy if you remember that many of the components you are counting were not know to exist at a point not so distant in the past. This should remind us that there are perhaps others which we have not discovered or do not understand yet. The precise function of vitamin K was not discovered until 1974. People were not counting it prior to that time.

But prior to 1974, and after, nature puts all that we need in real food (not processed). The best thing to do is to eat food, real food, mostly plants, and don't count components unless you have a medical situation which requires it.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 484 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: mysugarmonster14

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org