21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: High calorie, portable snacks
Created on: 08/29/12 12:42 AM Views: 1921 Replies: 13
High calorie, portable snacks
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I've only been vegan for a few months, so I'm still growing accustomed to my new diet, and I need some advice. Today was my first day of school, and I will be on camus twice a week for 14 hours a day. I can buy limited vegan meals on campus, but I can't afford to buy 3 meals every day I'm at school. Can anyone recommend some high calorie, portable snacks that I can keep in my backpack. Today I brought trail mix, an apple, and a granola bar, and I bought lunch and a smoothie, but by the end of the day I was so hungry I still have a massive headache. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

RE: High calorie, portable snacks
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Peanutbutter & celery are a good snack to have with you.

Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Peanutbutter & celery are a good snack to have with you.

Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Hi and Congratulations on your two months journey.It can be really difficult finding foods to eat when your vegan and I always carry raw almonds or pumpkin seeds as a portable snack.I also often pack hummus and some veggies to dip .

Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Could you manage to have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning? A big bowl could tie you over for a while. And then make your lunch really count. What are your choices for lunch?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Chewy Granola Bars (we found this recipe online somewhere several years ago)

Oven 350°F

1 Cup honey, agave, syrup, etc.

2/3 Cup peanut butter (171g.)

2 2/3 Cups rolled oats (275g.)

1 Cup whole wheat flour (150g.)

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 Cups mix-ins (chocolate chips, raisins, chopped nuts, etc.)

Mix sweetener and peanut butter until blended. Stir in the oats, flour, spice, and mix-ins. It's best to just dump in all the dry ingredients at once, rather than try to mix in one ingredient at a time (The mix-ins get more evenly distributed that way).

Press into parchment-lined 9X13-inch pan, Bake at 350F until just barely browned (approx. 25 min) Don't over-bake!

Cut into 24 bars, and wrap individually when cool. Or, put them in an air-tight storage container. Individually-wrapped bars will keep for about two weeks (if they last that long!)

We usually scoop them into meatball size balls instead of making bars - seems to travel better.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try that on Thursday. Susan, aside from a smoothie store, there is a Togos (veggie sandwiches) and a Fresh Kitchen (with falafel wraps and salads) on campus.

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Could you pack some vegan snacks that are ready-to-eat or almost ready to eat? Like a Amy's or McDougall soup? Just add hot water (if you have access to it...check to see if there is a microwave that you can use on campus, or a place that will supply you with hot water) and Bam, you are set to eat!

Some other ideas may be. Dates stuffed with almonds, Almond Butter and fruit spread sandwich. Vegetarian jerky treats. Canned vegetarian pate. Canned dolmas.

You can also invest in a thermos that will keep food temperature controlled for quite a bit. But last night's leftovers, soup, chili, or whatever in the thermos and you have a nice satisfying snack to enjoy later in the day when you are hungry.

Finally, regarding eating oatmeal in the morning. To save time you can make a big batch of oatmeal (just the way you like it) for the whole week (it keeps well). That way, in the mornings your breakfast will be ready for you. Easy peasy.

Edited 08/30/12 12:38 PM
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Hi, I get quite hungry at work. I feel like veganism has helped me to actually listen to when my body is hungry! I usually bring dates and walnuts (the kind you have to crack, they stay really fresh that way - I use my key to crack the nuts open into perfect halves). I find a few of these in the morning really tie me over until lunch. I make a big lunch, usually quinoa or a hearty soup/stew. I also take a larabar for the afternoon. I find if I drink enough water during my day, that helps too. I have a mug where I can make loose tea on the go. Good luck Smile

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hi, I get quite hungry at work. I feel like veganism has helped me to actually listen to when my body is hungry! I usually bring dates and walnuts (the kind you have to crack, they stay really fresh that way - I use my key to crack the nuts open into perfect halves). I find a few of these in the morning really tie me over until lunch. I make a big lunch, usually quinoa or a hearty soup/stew. I also take a larabar for the afternoon. I find if I drink enough water during my day, that helps too. I have a mug where I can make loose tea on the go. Good luck Smile

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ugh, sorry for the triple post...don't know how it happened, and I can't delete it now...whoops

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

What about baking some muffins and taking those with you? If you make a large batch you can freeze them and just take them out as you need them. And what about a fruit salad? Lots of different fruit with a little honey and lemon drizzled on it is so good.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I don't know if you can find these in the States (someone told me once that you can), but in Israel there is a snack with is just mainly dehydrated chickpeas. They are crunchy and very filling and have no oil or salt added. Maybe in health food stores?

I also think there are some recipes on the web for baked chickpeas. I've never really had much success with the texture (they turn out still mushy to me rather than crunchy) but you could give it a shot. I always have a small bag of baked chickpeas on me when I go out in case I get hungry. They're a great filling snack.

Djuna

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 395 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org