21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: bought a Vitamix..recipes plz
Created on: 05/21/12 08:03 PM Views: 1146 Replies: 4
bought a Vitamix..recipes plz
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I finally purchased a Vitamix (it's the 45 oz size and reconditioned,from their website, hey I'm cheap) I've been experimenting in making plant strong drinks.They're too thin to be smoothies and they're not juice. My hands down favorite so far is beet, carrot, ginger. I tried cucumber,kale, celery, lime, I think the lime made it too acidic. Although a strawberry, argula,spinach came out surpisingly good.so please I'd LOVE to get your recipes and any other thing (not drinks) that you make with your Vitamix. thanks!

RE: bought a Vitamix..recipes plz
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I enjoy frozen bing cherries with just enough chocolate almond or soy milk to make "ice cream"

I have a couple of soup recipes, but they are too high in fat because of a blended cashew/water base to make it creamy.

I have made potato soups, pea soups, lots and lots of smoothies.

I have made hummus (though I prefer to do hummus in a food processer).

I love my Vitamix, yet the one thing I would change is it is hard to get the yummies out of the bottom of it!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Can't give you a blow by blow recipe since it tends to be a bit different each time but I make sweet potato soup that is yummy.

I cook the sweet potatoes in vegetable broth with onions, garlic, whatever seasonings I feel like, sometimes I throw in some carrots or celery. Cook until everything is tender, drain some of the liquid into another container. Put it all in the VitaMix and blend until smooth adding some of the liquid back as needed to get the consistency you want. YUMMY.

I know most people cook sweet potatoes even sweeter, with brown sugar, but they are SO GOOD cooked more savory.

Smoothies are just as varied as your imagination. And there are smoothie recipes all over the internet.

Vikki ~

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

My favorite thing to make in the Vitamix is actually a good-sized batch of salsa. I put in my onions, cilantro, bit of hot pepper, (and any other ingredients you love), then mostly fill the rest of the container with tomatoes. Use the variable speed setting and only about 40% power, and just pulse it a few seconds at a time pushing things down with the plunger. Stop as soon as everything rushes down into the mix. Otherwise you'll have soup.

If you want the consistency of smoothies, just add ice or freeze some of the ingredients first.

Posted Friday, June 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

This month's Prevention magazine has really nice recipes, you may want to check it out. Also, they have some more at their website http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/super-healthy-smoothies

Enjoy!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 432 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sherry1600

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org