21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: foods that keep you feeling stuffed.
Created on: 02/27/14 02:14 AM Views: 747 Replies: 3
foods that keep you feeling stuffed.
Posted Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM

I am on my 9th day of being vegan but I find myself hungry all the time. I pop tomatoes in my mouth like they are candy when I am hungry. What can I make to keep me and my daughter from feeling hungry all the time. HELP!!! we are doing sooo good and I don't miss the dairy at all or the meat. Smile

RE: foods that keep you feeling stuffed.
Posted Friday, February 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I find for myself that high-fiber foods and higher-protein foods keep me feeling full and satisfied. Foods like this would include beans, lentils, oatmeal (if I also include a tiny handful of nuts, ground flax seeds, and some berries). And when I pair high-fiber, high-protein foods with a bunch of leafy greens, I find that I usually feel full and also have good (and longer-lasting) energy.

For example, for my lunch today I had some leftover bean scramble (I had a recipe for tofu scramble; I didn't have any tofu on hand, but I had a can of black soy beans so I used that). Yesterday night, I sauteed some onion, added the beans, some Dijon mustard and some dried dill. And then for lunch today, I added some salsa to the beans, added a whole bunch of kale and heated the whole thing up - soooo delicious!!

If you're craving something chewier that will also fill you up, I like tofu. It's so versatile, and it soaks up the flavour of whatever sauce you're using.

In a pinch, I also like Larabars (if I'm super-hungry and won't be getting home for a while I might stop into a grocery store and buy one of these - they are higher in fat but are still way healthier than a lot of other energy bars out there).

But yeah, I find that adding beans and lentils to dishes makes them really hearty and filling.

Hope this helps! Smile

Posted Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

tinkerbella460 wrote:

I am on my 9th day of being vegan but I find myself hungry all the time. I pop tomatoes in my mouth like they are candy when I am hungry. What can I make to keep me and my daughter from feeling hungry all the time. HELP!!! we are doing sooo good and I don't miss the dairy at all or the meat. Smile

Hey tinkerbella!

Thanks for posting as this is not an uncommon question and I'm always happy to address it! One of the most important things to remember on the plant-based journey is not only that you get to eat a lot of food, but that you must eat a lot of food.

The kingpin on satisfaction and satiety are legumes and beans, along whole grains and starchy vegetables and matched with an equal or greater amount of colorful non-starchy vegetables and fruit. I find that in spite of all our education otherwise, people are still riddled with carbophobia and don't eat enough of these slimming and satisfying foods - beans, legumes, and complex carbohydrate starches - to be well fed. Start with a substantial breakfast - whole grains and a pile of fruit, even some beans if you can manage - and this will set you off to a good start, too.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, March 7, 2014 at 7:54 AM

My favourite snack is toast with mashed fava beans. I'm good for quite a few hours afterwards.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 142 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org