21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Oatmeal
Created on: 04/02/12 08:58 AM Views: 3209 Replies: 19
Oatmeal
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I am eating the oatmeal as called for in today's menu. Any "tricks" on how to enjoy oatmeal more? I know the health benefits are soooo big but I really dislike the "spongy-ness" of it. How do you eat your oatmeal?

RE: Oatmeal
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Actually, I do not like mushy oatmeal, so I cook mine for a very short amount of time. Not sure if that takes away the sponge factor as much as the mush factor.

Interestingly, it is the soluble fiber you are probably detecting. This is the gummy fiber that soaks up (like a sponge!) the cholesterol and other toxins in your blood. Maybe if you think of it that way it will be worth it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

steel cut oats. I don't like the mushy texture of regular flat oats. These have more substance to them and less processed. They do not take a super long time to cook as I have heard from people. I have heard from people they take 40 minutes to cook. They don't. I usually take 1 cup oats and 4 cups water and bring to boil, lower to a simmer and cook until most of the water is absorbed. Store them in 4 containers. Four servings. I usually eat them with unsweetened applesauce, pumpkin pie spice and a scoop of pumpkin. Just enough sweetness and full for hours.

Kathy

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM

oops, forgot to say as they are cooking, stir every now and then as they can stick to the bottom, but just keep them moving off and on and they will be fine.

Kathy

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Steel cut oats is the answer. They don't get mushy, gummy even if you do over cook them a bit. They taste better, they're more filling, higher in fiber. You'll never go back to rolled oats.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Good thinking! Steel cut!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I'm with you on gooey oatmeal! I like this recipe adapted from The Kind Diet a lot better. You just cover raw oats & whatever you like mixed in with boiling water, stir & wait a few minutes to eat, just like a packet of instant. Tastes so much better than cooked to me. Here's what I put in:

1/2 c raw oats
1/2 green apple, diced finely
1 date, diced
pinch salt
a couple chopped walnuts
1/2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
drizzle of maple syrup

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

deleted double post

Edited 04/02/12 9:34 AM
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for such great suggestions! I most certainly will try them Smile

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I cook my oatmeal well to make it creamy and when I is done I add a drizzle of honey and cinnamon.

Good luck to everyone on this journey...do not give up...we are one day closer to being healthier and even looking better... Embarassed

Brenda S Camacho

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I used to eat steel cut, but then found that oat groats are the actually whole grain and got those. They are CHEWY! Let me tell you my jaw gets tired sometimes! There is absolutely nothing mushy about these oats. They don't even resemble oats (the kind in the Quaker box I was used to seeing) nor do they look like steel cut. They do take a while to cook, and are best if soaked over night. They can also be found gluten-free for those that need it.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I eat steel cut oats (quick cook kind) every morning. I add frozen blueberries before I take them off of the heat. YUMMY!

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I may have to try the oat groats. Sounds like eating the hull-less barley (which I love) as opposed to the pearled barley. Very chewy, very filling, very good. Thanks for the info.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yes Vicki from what I remember about barley it is similar. I can't eat barley (celiac disease) so I am not sure but I think it is a similar texture.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I use steel cut or oat groats as well but unlike most people I make mine savory. I dislike bland cereal but cannot eat much of anything with sugar or fruit, especially in the morning.

I cook my oats with half water and half plant milk (I use unsweetened soy milk) and then when it's done cooking I add chopped scallions, chopped fresh tomatoes, a big spoonful of nutritional yeast and a touch of mild buffalo sauce or mild Hawaiian chili water (I make my own, it's SOOO good and so easy to make). The end product is creamy and cheesy with the crunch of fresh scallions and tomatoes.

My other favorite is congee (think Asian breakfast porridge). I make it in my rice cooker with broken rice, shredded cabbage, veggie broth, and diced tofu and then seasoned with some Bragg's Aminos instead of soy sauce. It's become a family favorite.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

You might try Scottish Oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill). It's easier to cook and eat than steel cut oats, but I enjoy the consistency much better than regular oatmeal. It's more like the 6 and 7-grain cereals in consistency.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

SpongeBobFishpants wrote:

I use steel cut or oat groats as well but unlike most people I make mine savory. I dislike bland cereal but cannot eat much of anything with sugar or fruit, especially in the morning.

I'm just the opposite, I prefer fruit or sweet in the morning and savory in the evening. I'll put a sprinkle (1/8 cup or less) of vegan semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate morsels on my cereal (cold cereal) or a drizzle of maple syrup or agave plus some cinnamon and raisins (or some combo thereof) on oatmeal. Hubby likes peanut butter + chocolate morsels on his oatmeal.

Quote:

My other favorite is congee (think Asian breakfast porridge). I make it in my rice cooker with broken rice, shredded cabbage, veggie broth, and diced tofu and then seasoned with some Bragg's Aminos instead of soy sauce. It's become a family favorite.

Last night, son wanted some 'breakfast' when he woke up around 9 pm (long story) so we took some leftover brown rice, plant milk (we like unsweetened almond milk), agave, cinnamon, and raisins and cooked it up in a saucepan until it thickened up almost like an oatmeal consistency. It's one of his quick favorites.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I also like the steel cut oats... I do 1 cup oats and 2 cups water and 2 cups almond milk (I like mine creamy). About 5 minutes before they are done I add a mashed banana, a pinch of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. YUM!

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I also like the steel cut oats... I do 1 cup oats and 2 cups water and 2 cups almond milk (I like mine creamy). About 5 minutes before they are done I add a mashed banana, a pinch of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. YUM! This is also really good reheated with a splash of milk and my kids LOVE it!

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Gryphonpro Madeline gave a link at her "An Unlikely Vegan" Facebook page and here is an oatmeal recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-vegan-experience-breakfast-oatmeal-lunch-dinner-recipes.html from that link. I haven't tried yet but will

Edited 04/02/12 11:16 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 457 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org