21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Newbie Question
Created on: 04/02/12 09:08 AM Views: 846 Replies: 3
Newbie Question
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I am not totally new to the Vegan lifestyle; my son is vegan and I try to support him in my cooking. However, this is my first attempt at total vegan eating for myself.
My question: am I expected to follow the give menus for the 21 Days, or is substituting other vegan foods ok?
I'm excited about this adventure!!

RE: Newbie Question
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM

You do whatever works for you! Vegan and low-fat are our golden rules, and eating as much whole foods as opposed to processed is always a good idea. Our menus are meant to provide ideas and suggestions - you can decide how much or how little you want to follow them.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I doubt there are many of us that follow the menu strictly. For me leftovers play a huge role in my food plan. I do a lot of batch cooking on the weekends for things I can eat all week. But do try some of the menus and recipes. They're very good.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

This is our 4th kickstart and even from the first one we didn't go with the menus as indicated. Among other things, I avoid bulk soy like tofu because it messes with my system (it's great for some folks, not me). So, we adjust. We also have some favorites that we've been doing since before kickstart as we moved from SAD to vegetarian to vegan such as hubby's veggie chili. Mostly we use the kickstart recipes as a springboard to using new foods and seasonings and combinations thereof. Never would have tried hummus or red lentils without the kickstart suggestion. Now we don't know what we'd do without them! It's exciting to see some new recipes this time around too.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 180 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org