21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Just water?
Created on: 04/02/12 11:05 AM Views: 1409 Replies: 10
Just water?
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I read former posts about what to drink with this kickstart but I am still unsure what I should be drinking.

Sparkling water, flavored waters, black tea or green, coffee, coconut milk?

Not sure if I can make 21 days on water alone but willing to give it a go if necessary.

Do's and Don'ts?

RE: Just water?
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I would avoid the processed, so flavored waters are out. But you can add a bit of lemon, lime, or a bit of a juice to flavor your own.

Teas are up to you, can you handle the caffeine?

I enjoy plain old filtered water, it is my favorite. If you are coming off of a soda addiction then you may need to rev it up a bit.

In the mornings I like to drink room temp water with the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Just seems to get everything going.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I forgot to mention that there are pitchers made with a core as an infuser. You can add fresh fruits in the middle and make flavored water that is wonderful!!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thank you.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

we just do water - even my 13 yr old generally prefers it. If we're eating something that just wants bubbles (like pizza - a pizza with hummus and roasted veggies, no cheese or tomato sauce, is YUMMY - especially in the summer when we grill it outdoors or over a campfire!) we'll have simple seltzer (not tonic or club soda - tonic water generally contains quinine, which was used as a fever reducer medicine for years and club soda typically has added sodium). We might add seltzer to fruit juice for a kick or just add a twist of lemon or lime to it.

I will also have herbal, no caffeine, teas here at work for a bit of a change from water - I love Bengal Spice tea and chamomile (chamomile is soothing which has sometimes saved co-workers from being strangled!! LOL)
--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I rarely drink anything but water. Occasional green tea, hot or cold. I splurge on red wine now and then. I don't know how many years it has been since I've had a soda or cola or any kind.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I rarely drink anything but water. Occasional green tea, hot or cold. I splurge on red wine now and then. I don't know how many years it has been since I've had a soda or cola or any kind.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I am seriously in awe of your discipline! Shocked
how did you stop the cravings for even fruit juices, or tea and coffee with milk, sugar? i hope i can get to this point. i'm already over sodas (including diet), those slurpees and fruit juices with excess sugar, (taste incredibly too sweet now!) and coffee, but i had to substitute the daily mochas with at least chai or green tea. hopefully its not that bad if i have tea drinks still?

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I am a water person myself, I always have been. If I do want something other than that, I don't drink pre-bottled juices ( http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2011/05/09/12-seemingly-vegan-vegetarian-foods-that-really-arent/ )
but, a cup of coffee (I'm a caffeine person) or a cup of tea is perfect.

www email
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM

kitty18 wrote:

I am seriously in awe of your discipline! Shocked
how did you stop the cravings for even fruit juices, or tea and coffee with milk, sugar? i hope i can get to this point. i'm already over sodas (including diet), those slurpees and fruit juices with excess sugar, (taste incredibly too sweet now!) and coffee, but i had to substitute the daily mochas with at least chai or green tea. hopefully its not that bad if i have tea drinks still?

Depends on you. Some folks tolerate caffeine better than others (even white and green teas and "decaf" teas have some level of caffeine). There are also LOTS of herbal (no caffeine) "teas" - I love my Bengal Spice in the morning in lieu of anything caffeinated - cinnamon, ginger, black pepper (among other things) give it a bit of a kick to wake me up without the caffeine issues (among other things, some diabetics are sensitive to caffeine and get weird spikes in glucose levels when they consume it). Also, if you're used to doing coffee/tea with cream & sugar, that'll need adjusting as well - plant-based "cream" of some sort and try to cut back the sweetener (or eliminate it if possible).

Something I've discovered about me is that if I alternate plain cold water with herbal hot tea, I tend to get more water into my day than if it's all one or the other. So I'll have probably two cups of tea in the morning, then water with lunch and after lunch, then tea late in the day to get me to the end of work, then water with dinner and evening.

--Deb R

Edited 04/11/12 8:17 AM
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I do drink a lot of ice water, I just like it. However, I always have a pitcher of iced green/herbal tea in the frig. I use two "big" decaf green tea bags, 4 "regular" size herbal fruity tea bags ( like Raspberry Zinger), and a very little Truvia and/or raw honey for a big pitcher. We drink this a lot. And company always loves it.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 213 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org