21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: question about calories, and multi-vitamin?
Created on: 11/20/13 01:05 AM Views: 837 Replies: 7
question about calories, and multi-vitamin?
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

When transitioning to a vegan diet, should we be concerned about getting vitamins/minerals? I'm still new to this, starting late for this month / mid-November, but hoping this will 'warm' me up for December. Do most of you feel you get the adequate vitamins from your diet, or do you supplement at all?

Also, I just finished reading Veganist, in this book the author mentions that as a vegan, one need not worry or obsess over calories. I was wondering if most of you followed this way of thinking when on the kickstart.

It would be a relief not to worry about the calorie obsession that I feel is so present in society today!

RE: question about calories, and multi-vitamin?
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Vitamin B12 is essential since you won't be eating animal products. I also take Vitamin D since I live in Paris, France where the sun doesn't shine much.

Shocked

Edited 11/20/13 2:00 AM

Very Happy

Edited 11/20/13 1:59 AM
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM

You'll definitely want to take a B12 supplement no matter what. You can read about that here: http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/faq_b12.pdf.

Anything else should be as needed, per a professional's recommendation or if you know from lab work you are deficient (such as with vitamin D mentioned above). It's common for most people to be low in vitamin D, especially for those of us who work indoors and were crazy enough to move away from the equator!

As to portions and calories, it's true. The Kickstart plan is based on our numerous research studies where we asked people to stop counting and instead focus on a shift in the quality of the diet. When eating fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, you can eat until you are satisfied (even full) but lose weight. Why? Well, we're not adding any fats and oils which have loads of calories, and we're eating only foods with fiber. This means your diet will be bulkier, but most of the bulk comes back out, to be blunt. Meanwhile, you've displaced other unhealthful foods with fiber- and nutrient-dense plants! It's pretty simple and very easy!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM

although I supplement for b12 I gave up on everything else. I was taking a vitamin D supplement as I live in Seattle. My last blood work my vitamin D level was elevated, so I stop taking the supplement.I think that once you get rid of the toxins, meat and dairy, your body will start absorbing all the vitamins you need from the vegtables you eat.

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Doesn't nutritional yeast have a high content of B12

Love, Live, Laugh

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Not all nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12. Make sure you read the label. I have been sprinkling nutritional yeast on all my veggies and popcorn since I went plant strong/vegan a few years ago. I also like the recipes for mac and "not cheese" made with nutritional yeast. When I was tested, I wasn't deficient in B12 but low in Vitamin D. Probably just need to get outside more. Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 398 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org