New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: ASTHMA
Created on: 11/20/13 02:01 AM Views: 346 Replies: 4
ASTHMA
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Can a vegan diet cure asthma?

RE: ASTHMA
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I've heard good things about the vegan diet's effect on asthma. I think one may never know until she/he tries it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

"Cure" not sure; alleviate symptoms, reduce episodes, possibly - especially if there are allergen triggers (like dairy) involved

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Four years ago in September, I became vegan. My son, who was 10 at the time, had suffered from asthma all his life which was brought on by allergies. He didn't go vegan himself, but I no longer have any dairy in the house - milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. - for him. He does get a little dairy and meat at places like friend's houses, school, frozen yogurt shop, pizza parties, and I still buy eggs for him. But a huge portion of the meat and dairy he ate was cut out when I switched my diet. He LOVED cows milk.

Now, his asthma is COMPLETELY GONE! Allergies are almost completely gone, just a mild reaction to oak in the spring which gets better each year, but no more suffering through ragweed and cedar seasons. I think more than being totally vegan, it was cutting out the dairy that turned him around. It makes me sad he suffered so many years, and makes me sad to see kids on asthma meds all their lives. Before I switched to veganism, I asked my pediatrician if there were any food triggers for asthma, and she said no. If only we could get the word out to all who are needlessly suffering!

Hope it works for you!

Edited 11/20/13 3:26 PM
Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I had a similar experience as Catbear's son. I had really bad seasonal allergies since 1973, asthma since 1994, had been a vegetarian since 1993.

I did the Kickstart in September 2011 and quickly realized that I was sleeping better -- sleeping through the night and waing up without congestion. That winter I stocked up as usual on allergy meds with the dregs of my FSA, anticipating my usual difficult spring. But spring came and no allergies! And I found I wasn't short of breath, wheezing, dealing with asthma. I stopped taking my asthma meds and am very happy to be off them for about 18 months now. And aside from a few instances of itchy eyes, I no longer suffer from allergies. I attribute this to cutting out the dairy. Wish I had known of this decades earlier.

There are so many reasons to adopt a WFPB diet. Freedom from asthma and allergies -- and being able to breathe freely -- is one.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 195 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org