21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Sugar
Created on: 04/02/12 05:08 PM Views: 898 Replies: 4
Sugar
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh boy, watched 60 minutes last night about sugar! Evidence suggests it acts like fat, creating bad cholesterol. I have been able to cut out fats, but my healthy pancake needs SOMETHING!
Thoughts?

RE: Sugar
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Yes, I saw that piece on 60 mins, as well. It was very interesting and well done, and certainly provides "food for thought". Refined sugar certainly is not a big part of a healthy whole-foods diet, but if at risk for the diseases it talked about, definitely minimizing any sugar is called for. I love natural applesauce or fruit-sweetened apple butter on pancakes.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

For pancakes, I take a bag of frozen strawberries, heat it up, mash most of the berries and pour it over my pancakes or waffles - yum! No sugar except what occurs naturally in fruit with all of the fiber as well. There is probably some loss of antioxidants from the heating, but it's a lot better than pancake syrup.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Didn't see the program but it was probably focused on refined white sugar. For my pancakes, I prefer real maple syrup. Yes it is sugar but it's not so much refined the way white sugar is (it's produced locally by someone we know). Or, I'll put banana slices, crumbled pecans, and a dash of cinnamon on them - they look like those $8 plates of pancakes from the pancake restaurants! But, they're vegan and made with freshly ground whole wheat and buckwheat. Or, yes, fresh fruit in season (strawberries, fresh picked blueberries, bananas, etc).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM

If you didn't see it, here's the link to the video segment with Dr. Lustig (about 15 minutes):

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n&tag=pop;videos

or if you'd rather read the transcript:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57407294/is-sugar-toxic/

Yay for fruit!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 255 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org