21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: CHOCOLATE!
Created on: 04/02/12 05:41 PM Views: 1910 Replies: 12
CHOCOLATE!
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Help! The recipes are great and i feel good and light and strong and I'm loving it . . . EXCEPT I need chocolate!
What do you do about eating chocolate??
Please give me some advice! Ideas? Recipes? Products?

RE: CHOCOLATE!
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Im not sure where you live but WholeFoods makes vegan choloate muffins, vegan chocolate chip cookies, and vegan chocolate donuts that are amazing and totally satisfy my cravings. My friends and family dont even know they're vegan when they eat them. YUMMY!

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

There are vegan chocolate chips in the Oatmeal Banana Bites Smile I'm not sure about this, because I'm new to the kickstart, but I'm guessing a square or two of dark chocolate would be ok for chocolate emergencies. Just look at the label to make sure there is no milk - strangely enough Green & Black's 70% chocolate does have milk in it. Many brands don't, such as Chocolove and Endangered Species(dark chocolate only). Whole Foods even has dark chocolate Easter bunnies Very Happy

Mary

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Also I have heard that a very good dessert is to freeze some bananas, and blend them in a VitaMix (or other high-power blender) with unsweetened cocoa powder - you might have to add a bit of almond milk, or thaw the bananas just a bit. I haven't tried it yet, but I did buy some unsweetened cocoa and freeze the bananas.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Silk and Blue diamond both make a chocolate "milk". My fave frozen treat is frozen dark cherries with a bit of the chocolate silk and blend... yum!

Also I don't know where you live but Trader Joe's has pound plus bars that have no dairy.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The frozen bananas processed with a little cocoa powder and chia seeds is AMAZING! It is just like soft serve ice cream! Soooo good!

Edited 04/02/12 9:05 PM
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The frozen bananas processed with a little cocoa powder and chia seeds is AMAZING! It is just like soft serve ice cream! Soooo good!

Edited 04/02/12 9:04 PM
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I find buying chocolate to be a real mind numbing experience. Why does vegan chocolate have to cost so much more? When I buy chocolate, I usually look at %cocoa. You would think milkfat would cost more than cocoa butter, but I digress. Today I was looking to purchase chocolate chips, the one I settled on was 10oz. for 4.59 from the local grocer, organic, fair trade, no milk ingredients, but said it may have been processed after something with milk in it (I'm not allergic). There were vegan chips, but they weren't organic, and had chocolate liquor as the second ingredient after evaporated cane juice. Chocolate liquor being chocolate and cocoa butter in equal proportion? That would put cocoa solids well below the 43% advertised on the one I bought, right? They were $4.19 for 12oz. I go over to the candy bars, there is chocolate up to 80% cocoa, that costs about $2.50 for 2oz., good but not quite as good a deal as the chips. So I walk on over to the aisle where the normal people shop, and there is nothing without milkfat, and you can get bags of chips cost $2/10oz? I know that chocolate doesn't really fit on the kickstart plan, esp. 42% cocoa like I purchased, but, nonetheless, it's kind of ridiculous.

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I have a factastic raw fudge recipe:

1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of raw dates seeded
1/2 cup of powdered caco or coca

blend walnuts in food processer until almost paste or until fine. Add dates blend until chopped fine. Add coca blend until mixed in (make sure you keep the top on the blender as the coca powder will fly). You can roll into little balls or spread in a pan and cut into squares. Refrigerate for an hour or enjoy as soon as you make them.
You can experiment by adding peanut butter, coconut, chopped nuts, vanilla flavoring or anything else you think is good.
This really satisfies my chocolate craving and I don't feel guilty. It is easy to make also

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Brittlecap wrote:

I find buying chocolate to be a real mind numbing experience. Why does vegan chocolate have to cost so much more? When I buy chocolate, I usually look at %cocoa. You would think milkfat would cost more than cocoa butter, but I digress. Today I was looking to purchase chocolate chips, the one I settled on was 10oz. for 4.59 from the local grocer, organic, fair trade, no milk ingredients, but said it may have been processed after something with milk in it (I'm not allergic). There were vegan chips, but they weren't organic, and had chocolate liquor as the second ingredient after evaporated cane juice. Chocolate liquor being chocolate and cocoa butter in equal proportion? That would put cocoa solids well below the 43% advertised on the one I bought, right? They were $4.19 for 12oz. I go over to the candy bars, there is chocolate up to 80% cocoa, that costs about $2.50 for 2oz., good but not quite as good a deal as the chips. So I walk on over to the aisle where the normal people shop, and there is nothing without milkfat, and you can get bags of chips cost $2/10oz? I know that chocolate doesn't really fit on the kickstart plan, esp. 42% cocoa like I purchased, but, nonetheless, it's kind of ridiculous.

Ghirardelli semi sweet morsels (in the gold package in the baking aisle) have no milk fat. The Ghirardelli 72% chocolate squares are also vegan (no milk fat) - I'd have to double check where sugar comes into it. The Lindt Swiss bittersweet baking bar also has no milk fat. Yes, it does have sugar as the first ingredient though.

A quick and tasty sub for desperate times is to mix a tsp of cocoa powder (the baking kind, that is just cocoa) and a tbl of honey (I know there are mixed opinions on this one, vegan-wise) - agave won't work, haven't checked maple syrup. Plop it onto parchment or waxed paper and freeze for a couple of hours. Makes a tasty very dark rich tasting 'candy bar' of sorts. Sometimes I'll buy the vegan fruit juice sweetened morsels but yes they are more expensive than the standard stuff.

Generally speaking, I find that if I plan for a small bit of good chocolate (like a teaspoon of the morsels), that's really all I need to avoid going crazy for chocolate and jumping off the deep end. I tend to prefer the darker chocolates anyhow and those tend to be the ones with less sugar, more fiber, no milkfat.

But, when it's really NECESSARY (like around the holidays when there's so much other chocolate and goodies around), we go over to a local shoppe that has organic vegan handmade Belgian chocolates - uses no white sugar, only brown rice syrup, agave, and the sugar free items use a wee bit of maltitol. It's super expensive but a little goes a long, long way. The store's name is Divine Treasures in Manchester, CT and they do ship (so google them! LOL)

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Allis,
I have a family reunion coming up and need to bring a dessert. I will try your fudge recipe. It sounds good.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Allis,
Thanks for the fudge recipe. I am going to make it as a dessert for a family reunion that is coming up soon. My husband and I are the only vegans in the large extended family. Since the reunion is potluck, I make a little something for each category so we don't feel deprived.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Interesting Bugsmom! I am 99% sure I picked up the 72% Ghihoweveryouspelli chips and saw milkfat, they were also almost $4, so I didn't even bother checking the gold packaged ones! Thanks for the tip. And that fudge sounds really interesting, I'm going to have to try it someday.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 497 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org