21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Doing this again!
Created on: 08/29/12 10:55 PM Views: 1087 Replies: 7
Doing this again!
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Hello

I did this in April, and I lost several pounds and felt great! Then I slipped and fell off the wagon, my personal life going to shamble with it. I have been eating nothing but processed junk all summer. Needless to say, I feel horrible - my reflux is in high gear, and I just feel gross. So, time to get back on the wagon!

A few issues I had with doing this before - mainly the time aspect of food prep and staying full. I read a few people McDougall - what is the difference? Any suggestions to help with these challenges?

RE: Doing this again!
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

catluvr wrote:

A few issues I had with doing this before - mainly the time aspect of food prep and staying full. I read a few people McDougall - what is the difference? Any suggestions to help with these challenges?

As far as prep time, we do a lot of make-ahead components. For instance, we'll cook beans once or twice a week and store them in the fridge in portioned containers (approx the same amount as a can of beans per jar). We'll often cook rice, pasta and quinoa in double the amount we need for today's meal so we have it available for another day. If we've got rice and beans already cooked up, all we need to do is add a can of diced tomatoes and some herbs and we've got the basics of a dinner. Cooked rice re-heated with a bit of plant milk and some cinnamon and dried fruit is a nice breakfast. Making hummus is pretty quick once the beans are cooked (need hot chickpeas for hummus to have a nice texture; cold chickpeas are good for making a tuna-like salad) and both hummus and chickpea salad make a batch that lasts for days and make good snacks or lunches.

And, too, yesterday's dinner is today's lunch most of the time for us (even though that's not always the kickstart menu plan, it works better for us).

Mostly, it's about changing to a new routine - it's not all that different from adding exercise to your day or changing jobs or whatever. It takes time to figure out how long things take, what you can manage and what you need to find other ways to do (like buying hummus instead of making it, or buying organic pre-washed pre-cut lettuce mix to throw salads and wraps together more quickly).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Like Bugsmom, I also do a lot of pre-prep that really helps down the line. I usually cook in bulk and freeze half the menu for a future meal(s).

I also cook beans and portion them out, like Bugsmom, except that I freeze them. They last forever (okay not forever, but for a long time) and are a huge time saver!

There is a bit of an adjustment to the new routine, but I find that I spend as much time in the kitchen as I did before I was a plant-based eater.

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

some people like to cook, some not so much. McDougall is much more into starch then the other Dr.'s. (potatoes, rice, whole grains). some people disagree with this. I say do what works for you. you don't have to have oatmeal for breakfast if you rather have lentil soup. Myself, I eat potatoes and brown rice.

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Just to add to the above, quinoa and rice can also be portioned and frozen, so you can just thaw a package to add to something like stir fried vegetables.

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Just to add to the above, quinoa and rice can also be portioned and frozen, so you can just thaw a package to add to something like stir fried vegetables.

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

McDougall for me doesn't have to do with starch, but rather his Maximum Weight Loss Plan as in avoiding added fats and fatty foods. Basically same program as 21-Day, just a bit more strict for those of us that are weigtloss resistant.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I'm also a returning vegan kickstarter, with increasing medical motivation. I want to discourage the regrowth of colon polyps, reduce the amount of simvastatin (for hypercholesterolemia), and reduce the threat of diabetes by losing another 8-10 lbs and moving into a healthy BMI zone.
Adopting a more plant-based diet should help on all accounts. In between kickstarts, I do eat more vegan meals, so that is progress. But I am an omnivore because I still enjoy eggs, fish, and poultry too much to give them up totally.

So I am trying again, and appreciate this forum tremendously.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 126 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org