21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: anyone have experience with tempeh?
Created on: 04/02/12 10:43 PM Views: 3209 Replies: 18
anyone have experience with tempeh?
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I bought what I thought was seitan and when
I opened it I realized it was tempe. I knowingly bought it in the past and could not figure out how to make it taste good so I was disappointed when I realiized what I bought. I figure I am not preparing it right.

RE: anyone have experience with tempeh?
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I love tempeh!
If you boil it for like 10 minutes it expands and is able to soak up whatever sauce you use.

I made the recipe from veganomicon it was a hot sauce glazed tempeh very good.

I've also just like panfry just to get it brown then put BBQ sauce on it

Enjoy your tempeh! It is my favorite.

Edited 04/02/12 10:51 PM
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

You have to steam it for 10 minutes to get the wierd flavor off. Then season it with whatever you want and you can fry it. You can use soy sauce and ginger, salt, pepper or season with italian, mexican, indian, or whatever spice combos you like. Cut it into strips before you fry or bake or nuke it. "The Vegan Table" is where I got that tip. You can also cook it with some greens--collards, chard, or any veggies you like. Good luck!

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. The picture of the tempeh dish looks yummy! I do not remember reading on any of the tempeh packages that you have to boil this. Thank-you so much for the tips. I will try agian Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Here's a fancy company dish that is really yummy from the Fuhrman website. I used portabella mushrooms instead of shiitakes. Everyone loved it!

Pistachio Crusted Tempeh with Balsamic Glazed Shiitakes
www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
8 ounces tempeh, diagonally sliced, as thinly as possible
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thinly sliced
MARINADE:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
pinch hot pepper flakes
1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminios or low sodium soy sauce
CRUST:
1 cup pistachios, shelled
4 tablespoons corn meal
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Instructions:
Place tempeh in a saucepan with water to cover, simmer for 10 minutes.

Combine ingredients for marinade. Remove tempeh from water and add to marinade. Marinate for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Process pistachios in food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining crust ingredients and pulse until thoroughly mixed. Place in large shallow bowl. Remove tempeh from marinade and drain. Reserve marinade. Dip in tempeh in crust mixture to coat.

Place crusted tempeh and sliced mushrooms side by side on a rimmed baking sheet. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of marinade over mushrooms. Bake for 13 minutes or until mushrooms are soft, turning occasionally.

Simmer remaining marinade for 2 minutes. Drizzle tempeh and mushrooms with marinade before serving.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I think "vegan bacon" is still on our meal plan one day. Here is a great recipe for that, made from tempeh: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/06/tempeh-bacon-recipe-vegan-facon-makes.html. This was new to me, but I tried it because it was on the menu last time, and really enjoyed it..

Otherwise, I have used tempeh a lot over the years, and love it. I have never heard of the steaming part, and will try that. All of my recipes call for marination, usually with strong favors like garlic, ginger, soy sauce. This probably has the same reason as tempeh has an unusual flavor if you are new to fermented foods... Just try to remember the first time you tasted beer!

- madeline!

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I was intimidated to try tempeh even though I love tofu, but when I saw this recipe, I had to give it a go!

http://www.vanilla-and-spice.com/2012/02/indonesian-tempeh-stew.html

I used water to saute everything and skipped the coconut milk because the stew tasted rich enough on its own.

I really liked the chewy texture of tempeh!

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I guess I am the only one who doesn't like tempeh. Granted I used it twice, but there is something in the taste.... The first time I used soy tempeh and steamed it for 15-20 minutes, but didn't like the taste. The next time I bought tempeh made from brown rice, barley (I think) and soy with the hopes that the taste will be milder. This time instead of steaming I decided to boil it, thinking the flavor will be even more milder as some of it will be left behind in the water. Nope, this didn't work for me either. BTW, I am hardly a picky eater.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yesim, try a recipe that requires marination in strong tasting things. It is probably not the grain you choose, but the fact that tempeh is a fermented product. Do you like other fermented things?

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM

That might be it. I am not so sure about other fermented things, but I know that I don't like beer which is fermented. Not crazy about miso either. However, I like pickles, yogurt, kefir, etc. I tried an almond yogurt (our supermarket didn't have any plain ones which I like) and it didn't taste anything like yogurt, maybe because of the sweetness or it is just not the yogurt made with milk. I guess the only that may stop me being 100% vegan will be yogurt which I like a lot, but haven't had for more than 3 weeks... Oh, then there is the cheese. I tried soy cheese and rice cheese and both had a strange taste and texture. I don't know if a brand is better than the other but I doubt I will buy/try them again.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You sound exactly like I did a year ago.

Neal Bernard gives a wonderful explanation for why we think we need cheese and other dairy products in the middle of a very long youtube video. I looked it up for you, and found that the milk content I am referring to starts at 8min40sec and continues to 13min04sec. No can can explain this as well as he does.

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I

I tried the vegan cheeses in preparation for my first kickstart, and I hated them all. The same thing for the soy yogurt. It was horrible! But, that was because my tastes had not changed. Now I really find that I don't miss it. I even went through a summer without ice cream and didn't crave it. Keep up the process of changing your tastes, and try some vegan cheese if you wish, after a few months. The only one I buy is Daiya brand, as it works well in burritos, but I really don't buy it often. You will probably find the same.

Check out that video. It will explain a lot, and make you smile too. It is 40 minutes, so most people don't have time for the whole thing, but if you are around doing housework or cooking, just leave it on in the background and think of it as radio!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

oh... and I forgot (I am doing that a lot lately)... you can get the feeling of parmesan cheese with this... you will like this!

take a cup of your favourite nut (almond, cashew, walnut) and grind it to a powder with a cup of nutritional yeast and a teaspoon of salt. Store it in the fridge and use it as a powered cheese replacement. You don't have to wait for this one. I was obsessed with cashew at first but I now prefer walnuts. I think this recipe first appeared in the early vegan cookbook "How it all Vegan".

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Oh that nut cheese with nutritional yeast looks really good, thank-you for that recipe Very Happy I really appreciate all of these suggestions. I think I will be able to work with this stuff given the right recipe.

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Just a comment: There has been an explosion of vegan websites and recipes on the web over the past few years. I cannot believe how much is out there. I have been looking at peoples recipe suggestions and I could spend hours looking at these sites. I love to cook and have always liked to try new things, I thought I knew a lot about cooking. I am humbled by all of this. It is nice to see a lot of young people embracing a plant based diet also with all of the health problems and junk food eating we have in this country. This kickstart has renewed my enthusiasm for eating vegan Very Happy

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Thanks, Madeline. I will try the parmesan cheese recipe and will tell how I like it. Since I like the nutritional yeast, I think I will like this too.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

My first experience with tempeh wasn't a great one either. We use it more often now that I learned to cut it in strips or chunks and steam it for 15 minutes before tossing it into a recipe. It does need time to take on the flavor of the marinade or sauce.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

My first experience with tempeh wasn't a great one either. We use it more often now that I learned to cut it in strips or chunks and steam it for 15 minutes before tossing it into a recipe. It does need time to take on the flavor of the marinade or sauce.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

The taste is quite similar to corned beef, IMO. But the texture much lighter. I personally like to use it in curries. But I prefer tofu.

Wash your back

Edited 04/06/12 4:26 PM
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

brittie wrote:

I made the recipe from veganomicon it was a hot sauce glazed tempeh very good.

I would join you, Brittie. But I'm afraid I pass such ickie gas when I use those Isa De Chandra recipes. A phenomenon that I can only describe as "farting with a vengeance".

Last time, it got so ickie that I had to go out in the garden every time I wanted to fart. Then when I went back in the house I had to warn people, like, "don't go outside for a while".

Crazy gas, Brittie. Honestly. When my doctor examined a sample of it, he urged me to think seriously about getting a tuchus transplant.

Good to see you again though. Your enthusiasm and your photos really light up this forum. Hope you're doing OK.

Theodore

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 146 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org