21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: frozen yogurt and regular yogurt
Created on: 04/02/12 11:34 PM Views: 575 Replies: 2
frozen yogurt and regular yogurt
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

This is a huge challenge, I do well and then I get the terrible cravings for fro-yo. Still pretty popular...the thing is, I feel I'd be a lot healthier without it anyway because I am not disciplined to get fro-yo without all the topppings that make it unhealthy!

What do you use to satisfy that sweet and cold/creamy craving? I was thinking plain non-fat yogurt...but it's hard to find vegan choices with this. I hear they make coconut yogurt, coconut creamer too! and I'm dying to find that.

RE: frozen yogurt and regular yogurt
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM

There are non-dairy yogurts made with soy, coconut, and even almond. And creamers with soy and coconut. I do caution over indulging in these products as they don't have fiber but do have calories, and usually a lot of sugar.

I would consider making creamy smoothies with ice, some non-dairy milk, and bananas at the base. We have some pretty good recipes on NutritionMD.org. Adding cocoa powder can make for a surprisingly delicious chocolate smoothie!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: frozen yogurt and regular yogurt
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

If you're looking for something more like ice cream, I would suggest finding ice cream made from coconut milk as opposed to soy. The vanilla does end up tasting like coconut, but everything else tastes the same and doesn't have the aftertaste of soy ice cream, which I always find displeasing. Again, you don't want to overindulge because it doesn't have any fiber and contains a lot of calories, but it's better to have a taste now and then so you don't binge on it later!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 472 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org