21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Berbere seasoning
Created on: 04/03/12 09:01 AM Views: 810 Replies: 2
Berbere seasoning
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Did anyone make the Curried Tomato Lentil Soup yesterday? I used the Berbere seasoning they sell in the bulk spices at Whole Foods and it was a little too hot for me and my husband. And we're from Texas! I think 1-2 teaspoons would have worked better than 1 tablespoon. Also 5 minutes is not enough time to cook the potatoes at the end. I cut the pieces small but it still required more time. It makes a very thick soup! I might add a little water when I reheat the leftovers. It was good. Next time I will used less of the seasoning, cook the potatoes longer and use real lentils. I thought I had lentils in the pantry, but couldn't find them so I used mung dal instead!

RE: Berbere seasoning
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yes I made the curried tomato lentil soup. I didn't have the berbere or the fenugreek seeds. I subed curry pwd for the berbere and (turmic, fennel, paprika, mustard seed, and cilantro (didn't have coriander)for the fenugreek. It had a good taste. And I was like you, I had to cook the potatoes longer then 5 mins. So I made the zucchini sandwich while it cooked. By the time I was done with making the sandwich the soup was done also.

RE: Berbere seasoning
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Loved this soup. Since it was so thick, I used canned vegetable broth and added about 2.5 cups extra broth which seemed to be fine for us. I used regular Curry powder and that seemed to be an appropriate heat for our household. We will definitely serve this again.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 479 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org