21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Spinach & sodium
Created on: 04/03/12 10:26 AM Views: 1502 Replies: 3
Spinach & sodium
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

A friend just emailed me this question asking for advice. Any answers from you nutrition savvy kickstarters for me to pass along to my friend would be appreciated...thanks!

I have a friend who keeps telling me spinach is SO high in sodium and bad for you...especially those with high blood pressure. Well, what would you say to that?

From things i have read...spinach actually assists with lowering blood pressure due to the potassium (natural blood pressure lower) and Co-enzyme Q10 which does something to help strengthen muscles or soemthing...I guess that's how Popeye got so strong! LOL!!

Anywoo..what would you say to that?

The organic spinach I buy seems to have about 70 per 2 cups.

RE: Spinach & sodium
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Here is a link about sodium that can help.
http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5a.html

Edited 04/03/12 12:22 PM
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

catbear wrote:

A friend just emailed me this question asking for advice. Any answers from you nutrition savvy kickstarters for me to pass along to my friend would be appreciated...thanks!

I have a friend who keeps telling me spinach is SO high in sodium and bad for you...especially those with high blood pressure. Well, what would you say to that?

From things i have read...spinach actually assists with lowering blood pressure due to the potassium (natural blood pressure lower) and Co-enzyme Q10 which does something to help strengthen muscles or soemthing...I guess that's how Popeye got so strong! LOL!!

Anywoo..what would you say to that?

The organic spinach I buy seems to have about 70 per 2 cups.

I'm guessing that's 70 mg per 2 cups. Do you know how MUCH 2 cups of spinach is? It's hard to eat that much in a sitting. And, too, it's more about proportion than straight sodium. Look for a balance of potassium and sodium - three to one is good for a healthy balance (if I remember correctly)

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

As long as I am not over indulging in processed salt laden snacks etc, I wouldn't worry about sodium coming from natural, unprocessed while foods. Also, one wouldn't be eating spinach for every meal (unless we are Popeye! Wink) So I think if we consume a variety of whole foods it shouldn't be something to worry about.

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 420 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org