21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Whole wheat bread recipe for bread machine
Created on: 04/03/12 11:08 AM Views: 1191 Replies: 1
Whole wheat bread recipe for bread machine
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Someone in the Welcome forum was looking for a whole wheat bread recipe for a bread maker -below is the one that I make for my Food for Life classes.

I make the round loaf and then hollow it out to hold a dip but you can make it as a regular loaf or as rolls. Of course you can also make this by hand if you don't have a bread machine, but whole wheat doughs require about 20 minutes kneading time.

Whole Wheat Rolls or Bread

These light, delicious rolls are so easy with a breadmaker. This recipe works well in our Panasonic 1 1/2 pound loaf breadmaker. Depending on your brand and size of breadmaker, you may have to adjust the ingredient amounts or add them in a different order. You can also make the dough in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
The vital gluten enables the whole wheat flour to rise more easily - it's available in the natural food section of most grocery stores. Of course, you can always bake this bread as a loaf, either in your bread machine or in any desired shape in your oven.

3 C. whole wheat flour
¼ C. vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. agave nectar or maple syrup
1 ½ C. water
1 tsp. active dry yeast

Directions:
For a Panasonic breadmaker, put all the dry ingredients except yeast into the bread pan. Add water and sweetener and place pan in machine. Add yeast to yeast dispenser. Plug in the machine, choose whole wheat setting with the menu button, choose dough setting with the select button, and push start. After the machine has mixed a few minutes, check to make sure dough is wet enough for the paddle to turn easily. You can add a teaspoon or two of water if necessary. The dough will be ready in 3 1/4 hours.

Remove the dough from the machine, place on a floured board and knead a few times to release gas bubbles. Divide dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. Take each fourth and divide into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place the 16 balls on two lightly oiled baking sheets (those with the double layers keep the bottoms of the rolls from getting too done). Cover the rolls with a tea towel (non-terry) and let rise about 20 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.

PER ROLL: Cal 98; Pro 4g; Carb 20g; Fiber 3g; Fat 0g; Sat Fat 0g.

For a round loaf, remove dough from machine. Knead a few times and shape into a round loaf. Place in an oiled pie pan. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting or wrapping.

Edited 04/03/12 11:10 AM
RE: Whole wheat bread recipe for bread machine
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I mostly eat only bread that I make in my breadmaker. Mine is a Black and Decker and I usually make the 3 lb. loaf.
First I put in the liquid ingredients
2 cups water
3 tbsp. molasses
1 tbsp. canola oil
then add the dry ingredients - I like to add seeds
sesame seeds, flax seeds, sunflower, pumpkin and poppy or chia or hemp - usually a total of 1/4 cup
3 tbsp. soy flour
1/2 c. gluten flour
1/2 c. other grain (lately I've been using barley)
1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. bran
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 heaping tsp. yeast
then turn onto Setting 2
Its delicious.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 160 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org