21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Delicious Sandwich
Created on: 05/23/12 10:18 AM Views: 1669 Replies: 8
Delicious Sandwich
Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I chopped up kale and cabbage in the food processor into kind of a slaw. I made some healthy hummus, spread some onto some sprouted whole grain toast and topped with the slaw, served open face. I really amped up the hummus with horseradish and hot sauce!

RE: Delicious Sandwich
Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Never thought of putting horseradish in hummus, sounds good, do you have a recipe?

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I wish people would eat more of this sort of thing.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

chickadee wrote:

Never thought of putting horseradish in hummus, sounds good, do you have a recipe?

Not really. Here is what I did! I made healthy hummus from the book, but did not add any spices. I take a couple of tbsps out and try different ideas with it. Add more lemon juice, add horseradish to taste, add roasted red pepper, cayenne, garlic, etc. I got my ideas from looking at Tribe hummus in the store, they have so many different flavors. Delicious, but too much fat. I also tried making FOUL, a lebanese version served hot made with fava beans instead of garbanzos. There are a million recipes online, most with lots of oil, but I just leave it out!

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

theodore wrote:

I wish people would eat more of this sort of thing.

We do craft fairs many weekends from May to December. There's always a concession stand filled with hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches (ham, tuna, etc). Instead of spending money and eating stuff that we don't normally eat (with the attendant gastro issues that entails for starters), we make sure to make some fresh, whole wheat tortillas or bagels ahead of time and make sandwiches/wraps with either hummus (we LOVE the roasted red pepper hummus with a tiny pinch of spice) and leafy greens like spinach etc or we'll make what my son calls "notuna" - instead of processing them hot as we do for hummus, we refrigerate the cooked chickpeas and then roughly chop them with a few pulses of the food processor. Add chopped onion and celery (and whatever else you might like), a bit of mustard and your fav mayo-like substance if you choose to make something akin to tuna salad. Makes a great wrap or sandwich topped with some greens and other veggies.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You give me hope, Deb.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I can't believe as much as I love horseradish I never thought to put it in hummus. Must make some soon! Thanks.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Will have to try the horseradish.

Sometimes I eat a sandwich of just (kale with a little lemon juice) on 2 slices of bread and that's it and I find it to be delicious. even without the lemon juice tastes good. or with some vegenaise on the kale, or without the bread but with the vegenaise in a bowl.

and to think before last year I never tried kale...all that time I missed out...now I am addicted to kale and enjoy it often.

Kale is wonderful!

Posted Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Since we are talking about kale, if you live near a Whole Foods Market try their Garlicky Kale. If all kale tasted like that - I would eat it every single day! It is awesome!

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 450 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org