21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Family funny
Created on: 05/23/12 10:29 AM Views: 713 Replies: 3
Family funny
Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Family friends hear I have gone vegan, they start sending me links to "China Study Hoax" and "Vegan Unhealthy" I really get a kick out of it.

So far I have not lost weight, but I don't care. I know why. I still give into the vegan junk food: fried foods, sweet foods, oil added foods. I am eliminating those, staring with the oily foods: prepared hummus, falafel, etc. I can do this!

RE: Family funny
Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You can definitely do it! I have to say getting the fats low is much more difficult than giving up animal products. But it can certainly be done, and it will reset your taste buds for the better.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

GOOD FOR YOU! We will be your virtual family. It is the time of aquarius after all, so we can choose our family now Smile

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM

The comments and jokes will be plenty! Some are old (or get that way fast) and some will be creative. Keep yourself informed, not because you want to prove your point, but for yourself in knowing you are doing the best you can for you!

Keeping fats low is critical for me, little slips and my weight loss stops. My weight has roller coastered over the years, over 200 under 100 and now nearly smack dab in the middle! I have about 24 pounds I want to drop but have not been strict about fats. I am a stress eater so have not been great about fat content lately.

So here is the interesting bit.... my ex and I are great friends and he recently admitted he had a lot of weight to lose and has agreed to do a vegan/McDougall/Barnard/Engine 2 type diet for the month of July with me!! He wants to give it a month to see how it will really work. He has tried lots of things in the past, to lose some then gain it and more back. I am truly, honestly hopeful he will "see the light" and make this change. His family is split pretty evenly with obesity and fit I am hoping this will help him cross over to the other side! They are all HUGE meat and dairy eaters so this will be a super challenge for him and the way of life.

Hang in there with your "helpful" friends and families and remember in our modern minds, change is scary and most believe if change is needed then someone MUST be wrong (and no one likes to be wrong!).

Use compassion not arguments, listen politely, change subjects when possible and do what you now know to be the better choice!

Best wishes

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 404 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org