21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Quick Black Bean Chili
Created on: 04/03/12 10:54 PM Views: 1678 Replies: 6
Quick Black Bean Chili
Posted Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I think the seasonings are way off in the Quick Black Bean Chili recipe (especially the chili powder). I made a double batch tonight as follows:

Serves 4

1 yellow onion, diced
Water
4 cloves garlic, minced
32 ounces cooked rinsed black beans (2 cans)
16 ounces crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (1 can)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (instead of 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (Could have used a little less)
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Over medium-high heat, sauté the onion until most of the pieces are significantly browned. Add a thin layer of water and quickly stir the onion. Let the onion sit and the water evaporate. Repeat this process two to four more times (the more you do it, the deeper the flavor of the onions grows). Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and oregano, mixing everything together. Simmer for at least 5 minutes. This recipe works best in a wok.

RE: Quick Black Bean Chili
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Thanks Randi! I wanted to try this recipe but 1/4 cup of chili powder made me think that perhaps I just wasn't "there" yet Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

maybe it was supposed to be 1/4 tsp - we juggle spices anyhow so we don't really pay attention to the quantities just the combination (chili powder, cumin, etc.)

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Oh so wish that I read this thread before making my chili. I did the recipe x's 4 but the chili powder scared me a little so I only added 1/2 cup rather than 1 cup. Oh boy it is very hot. Thankfully, my family can probably take the heat but yes - waaaaay too much chili powder in this recipe.

Edited 04/04/12 5:08 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I was not even going to make this. I followed your suggestion and used less chili powder. This is a great recipe. I could not find crushed fire roasted tomatoes so I used the chopped tomatoes and added 4 oz of tomato sauce. I found some cilantro paste at Safeway and used that also - great stuff, time saver too. I also added some fresh lime. Yum!

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

If you can't stand the heat, I suggest less than a quarter or half of that amount. I used the full amount and loved it. It has to be the best meal I've had so far.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I fixed it tonight and because DH doesn't like things too hot, I only used 1/4 tsp chile powder. He said to go ahead and increase it to 1/2 tsp next time. I added the optional cilantro and lime juice and it was delicious. Will definitely fix this again.

One comment about the recipe though. The black beans listed in the recipe said one can black beans, rinsed. In the cooking directions it says add the beans and their liquid. I drained them and then added water when I saw how dry it was. Maybe you could fix the inconsistency but please keep the great recipes coming! I also have the book and the chile powder in the book said 1/4 cup chile powder. Was that a mistake or do you people at PCRM like things hot?? Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 202 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org