21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Flatulence
Created on: 04/04/12 04:34 AM Views: 2419 Replies: 14
Flatulence
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Day 2 of the plant based diet and my body feels the need to release gas all of the time. Is anyone else having this problem? I've been a vegetarian all of my life, but this is a new experience for me. I haven't been following the recipes included, but have been eating a lot of vegetables, some rice and cereal and almond milk. Nothing I can think of that would make me especially gassy, but is this an unavoidable by product of the vegan diet, or is my body just going through an ajustment period?

RE: Flatulence
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM

It's just an adjustment period, assuming you are eating more beans than you used to. I used to be a vegetarian... the kind that lived for dairy and didn't like beans. Now I love beans Smile it did take a while, maybe a few months, to completely adjust, although the situation was only seriously funny for a few weeks. Stick with it.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM

It's just an adjustment period, assuming you are eating more beans than you used to. I used to be a vegetarian... the kind that lived for dairy and didn't like beans. Now I love beans Smile it did take a while, maybe a few months, to completely adjust, although the situation was only seriously funny for a few weeks. Stick with it.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

This topic comes up several times at the beginning of each new start! So hang in there and this too shall pass (tee hee).

This is a natural process, but will ease up.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

muvies wrote:

Day 2 of the plant based diet and my body feels the need to release gas all of the time. Is anyone else having this problem? I've been a vegetarian all of my life, but this is a new experience for me. I haven't been following the recipes included, but have been eating a lot of vegetables, some rice and cereal and almond milk. Nothing I can think of that would make me especially gassy, but is this an unavoidable by product of the vegan diet, or is my body just going through an ajustment period?

gryph and oceandog are right - it can take a period of adjustment!

A couple of tips.

IdeaAre you cooking your own beans, or using from a can? There are tricks for cooking them that reduce the gaz factor.

IdeaSmaller meals more frequently may help, to ease the new load on the digestives system.

IdeaOn foods you find particularly conducive to creating bubbles, back off on quantity and work your way up.

You've got a great attitude - keep it up!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I have not actually been eating many beans - I had some pinto beans with lunch on Monday and that is all. I didn't make them myself as i was in a Mexican restaurant. I did start my period today and maybe that is it - I sometimes get gassy right before starting. Interesting thing is I usually get incredible backaches too and I did not at all this time. Wonder if it's the new diet or just a coincidence. It will be interesting to see how my cody goes the next couple of days.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I have not actually been eating many beans - I had some pinto beans with lunch on Monday and that is all. I didn't make them myself as i was in a Mexican restaurant. I did start my period today and maybe that is it - I sometimes get gassy right before starting. Interesting thing is I usually get incredible backaches too and I did not at all this time. Wonder if it's the new diet or just a coincidence. It will be interesting to see how my cody goes the next couple of days.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I just saw a segment on Dr. Oz and they gyn they had said that most women have digestive problems with their period, so maybe that is your problem. Just go slow with the higher amount of fiber you may start taking in.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I just came across this article and think its is well worth a read. You may have to copy/paste the link into your browser for it to work.

Beans and Gas: Clearing the air

http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/2011/12/05/beans-and-gas-clearing-the-air/

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Hahahahaha...I love it! Awesome article! Thanks.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

try rinsing the beans really well before using, and don't re-use the water they were soaked/rinsed in.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Just an FYI

If you keep the water from soaking beans or at the bottom of the pot when you steam, you can add this (when cooled) to the garden.

If you use the hot water from the steamer, it will kill plants, so I use that on the weeds in the brick path.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

What about products like Beano and Gas-X? Do they work? Are they safe?

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Several are not vegan, so check the ingredients.

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I am mexican-american and our main dishes are beans and corn tortillas.
We found that if we soaked the beans at least twice during the 24 hours before cooking them (of ocurse we discard the soaking water), the amount of gaz is reduced a lot. By the way you need to ccok the beans with a lot of water and for several hours! The can beans may produce more gaz.
Other grains also produce gaz, not only beans. Take care.
In the meantime you can take an OTC called Beano, that you can find in your drugstore. Your body will respond better in some weeks and you will not need any medication.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1343 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org