21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: let's talk chocolate?
Created on: 11/21/13 06:46 PM Views: 821 Replies: 4
let's talk chocolate?
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

sounds too good to be true! but what are some vegan chocolate bars or ways of making a good vegan hot cocoa? would love to hear. after all, dark chocolate in limit amounts has some health benefits, yes? =)

RE: let's talk chocolate?
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I've found a brand of mini chocolate chips that's vegan (at least, as far as I can tell from reading the ingredients list).

The company that makes it is called "Enjoy Life", and the chocolate chips are also gluten-free.

Mind you, I have no idea how healthy they are or not. But they're pretty tasty.

Posted Friday, November 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM

You can always use soy/almond/rice milk as your base for hot chocolate, of course. I recommend buying pure unsweetened cocoa powder then adding your own sweetener to taste.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, November 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

lily18 wrote:

sounds too good to be true! but what are some vegan chocolate bars or ways of making a good vegan hot cocoa? would love to hear. after all, dark chocolate in limit amounts has some health benefits, yes? =)

Yes, Enjoy Life is vegan and GF. Alas, also pricey (which can be a good way to reduce chocolate intake by rationing it out - or spend a lot more $$$ LOL)

Ghirardelli semi-sweet (not milk chocolate obviously or the bittersweet oddly enough) has no milk fat in it. We use those when the budget can't handle the Enjoy Life price tag. Need to read labels - some things are not marked as 'vegan' but contain no milk fat or other animal products. The 'edge' question is whether they use sugar processed with bone char or not - some folks are okay with that, though it's technically not vegan.

For hot cocoa, raw cocoa powder mixed with agave (usually one big tablespoon of cocoa with about two tablespoons of raw sugar or agave or whatever sweetener you prefer) works. If you use sugar and cocoa, mix them first then add the milk; if you use agave, add that last or you might get lumps. Add warmed plant milk (we use almond but others work),. just about 1/4 cup of the warmed liquid at a time and stir well before adding more liquid to avoid lumps. Stir in a small pour of vanilla or other flavoring if you so choose (mint extract, almond, cherry, raspberry). I've also used cinnamon (add the powder with the cocoa powder not at the end).

I've been trying to find or make a vegan mix that is also soy free (I can find powdered soy milk but not any other plant milk) that I can just add hot water to. Hoping maybe someone else knows of one that is readily available somewhere (I've even checked Amazon and no-go sigh)

--DebR

Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM

thank you all! these are great ideas! i'm going to try finding Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 382 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org