21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Vitamin B and vegan
Created on: 08/31/12 10:26 AM Views: 1154 Replies: 9
Vitamin B and vegan
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Please give information on necessary supplements needed for eating vegan. I've read that vitamin b6/b12 are essential to supplement. Also, what minimal amount of animal protein will suffice that bodily need? Example, 4 oz of cheese every month or 2 tbs of butter. Does a person have to eat an animal to get that vitamin b?

RE: Vitamin B and vegan
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

donnasaffren wrote:

Please give information on necessary supplements needed for eating vegan. I've read that vitamin b6/b12 are essential to supplement. Also, what minimal amount of animal protein will suffice that bodily need? Example, 4 oz of cheese every month or 2 tbs of butter. Does a person have to eat an animal to get that vitamin b?

No animals required. Yes, B12 is generally only found in animals but they get it from elsewhere (that is, cows eat stuff that various systems, bacteria and such, inside them use to create B12 and people eat the cows...) But, it's just as easy to take a vegan B12 supplement to make sure you're getting plenty of B12. And, too, many vegans use nutritional yeast on a regular basis (not baking yeast, not brewer's yeast) and that contains B12 as well if I remember correctly. We use nutr yeast "nooch" on popcorn and pasta (makes a nice slightly salty parmesan like flavor) as well as using it to make "not cheese" sauce for mac'n'cheez, nachos, etc. Some people prefer a large once-a-week supplement, while others prefer a smaller daily dose of supplement. For me, I take a vitamin B complex + C and a vitamin D supplement (fair skinned New Englanders rarely get enough D no matter what they eat) each morning.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

You can either take a B12 supplement or many vegans eat nutritional yeast which is rich in B12. There is no reason to ever eat cheese or any animal protein.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Copied from the NutritionFacts.org web-site (a FANTASTIC nutrition information site!), specifically from
http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/vitamin-b12/.

"Vitamin B12 is made by neither animals nor plants, but actually is made by microbes. Thankfully, in our sanitized world there are safe, cheap, convenient sources. Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in vegans who don’t eat B12 fortified foods or take B12 supplements and can result in paralysis, myelopathy, or psychosis. It is imperative that those eating plant-based diets include B12-fortified foods in their diet or take B12 supplements, especially pregnant or nursing women (see here and here). Testing is not necessary, but supplementing is—it may even increase one’s lifespan. The recommended intake is 4-7 micrograms a day (but to get that much in daily or weekly supplements you have to take much more). Raw food diets are no exception to this rule. Omnivores under age 50 are rarely deficient in vitamin B12 (though may be deficient in other nutrients)."

I highly recommend watching the videos referenced.

I take 2,500-3,000 mcg of B12 vitamin once a week (per Dr. Greger's "Optimum Nutrition Recommendations" (http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12/dr-greger%E2%80%99s-2011-optimum-nutrition-recommendations/).

Edited 08/31/12 11:14 AM
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, that's a good point - many foods, both veg*n and not are fortified with B vitamins. For example, an average bowl of Cheerios (plain) is listed as having 25% of the RDA of B12 [I picked Cheerios simply because they are common enough that most people are familiar with them].

--DebR

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

I agree with bugsmom - no need to eat any animal product to get B12.

In addition to nutritional yeast, you might look for fortified soy milk or other fortified vegan food such as meat analog products.

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Hi Donnasaffren!

You've already gotten some great ideas - isn't this an amazing gathering of plant-people?

Dr. McDougall has also made a short, informative video about b12 and you'll find it on my blog here:

Do you need to supplement vitamin b12 on a plant-based diet?

Personally, I use Red Star Nutritional Yeast as well - a couple of Tablespoons gives you the 5 micrograms and I regularly sprinkle it on my salad. It is fortified with b12.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM

This is helpful to know..however, I'm currently in Vietnam and I don't think I can find nutritional yeast very easily. There is soy milk but I don't think it's fortified...so i'd like to know, are there any natural sources of Vitamin B12 in plants, grains, anything?

Thanks =)

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Something else to note, meat-eaters can just as easily be deficient in B12, my own mother being an example (according to her doctor). For me, that myth has been busted, and it would probably be prudent for everyone to ensure they are not deficient in B12, vegan/vegetarian or not. Smile

Heidi
http://lilibethsvegangarden.blogspot.ca/

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You can order nutritional yeast on line. Vitacost.com is my favorite place to order on line. Or you could just buy a B12 supplement.

http://www.vitacost.com/red-star-nutritional-yeast-vsf-mini-flake

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 514 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org