21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Nuts
Created on: 04/04/12 09:47 AM Views: 2182 Replies: 10
Nuts
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I eat virtually no fat in my diet now with the vegan plan. What about adding a handful of nuts and or seeds to your meals, does anyone know if this is harmful?

RE: Nuts
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

MelissaCarole wrote:

I eat virtually no fat in my diet now with the vegan plan. What about adding a handful of nuts and or seeds to your meals, does anyone know if this is harmful?

The kickstart plan constrains fats to 10% of calories (per day, on average). Keep in mind that there is fat in just about everything, even if it might be miniscule amounts (like lettuce). You may have no added fat in your diet but that's not the same thing exactly. If your diet is way low in fat, nuts won't hurt too much. However, for some (I'm one) eating nuts particularly (compared to something like avocado which also has a higher fat content) will add pounds rapidly.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

That's interesting. I am overweight but I've lost 50 pounds on sparkpeople's vegetarian plan. I had been eating 30 per cent fat, 20 per cent protein, and 50 per cent carbohydrate. I also have diabetes and my blood sugars have been in the normal range.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I think for nuts specifically, if you really miss them - have chestnuts, they are the one 'nut' lowest in fat I believe...also almonds, pistachios - these are pretty low in fat too. The most I think, are cashew, the more exotic like Brazil, macademias.

I love chestnuts, allergic to most others (pecans, i MISS those but somehow developed the allergy a few years back) Oh and I love coconut. As long as its moderation, no worries - these fats surely are better than processed trans-fat from pastries!

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I think adding a serving of nuts a day is a good idea. I don't follow the breakfast plan very closly, but what I do is have some museli with soy yogurt and an ounce of crumbled cashews, and I'm not hungry until lunch at the earliest!

I am allergic to some nuts, unfortunatlly, but the ones I can eat, I enjoy!

www email
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Laughing Arrow Arrow Arrow Wink

Wash your back

Edited 04/12/12 2:01 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM

theodore wrote:

Laughing Arrow Arrow Arrow Wink

Wash your back

Edited 04/12/12 2:01 PM
Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Nuts are dense with nutrients and with fat. I limit myself to one small handful each day. Everything else I eat has minimal fat content so I don't think it hurts to have a few nuts as a snack or in oatmeal or salads.

Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The bottom line is nuts are healthy! Especially walnuts and almonds. They are also fattening! One of a handful of foods that fall into that category. If you are trying to lose weight, then limit. Otherwise, a small serving a day is good. Confused

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

if you are trying to lose weight, Dr Barnard recommend to use nuts as a seasoning, like salad topper and not a snack.

no more then 1 oz a day / that translate to about a little less then 1/4 cup

If you are at your ideal weight and active, then this does not apply

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 326 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org