21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Low Glycemic Index
Created on: 04/04/12 10:14 AM Views: 714 Replies: 2
Low Glycemic Index
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Are the recipes in the 21-Day Kickstart Low Glycemic Index? If so, is it possible to include the GI information with the nutrition information for each recipe? I have been using the "Reversing Diabetes" book from Dr. Barnard and he stresses low glycemic index in addition to low fat and vegan. Thanks.

RE: Low Glycemic Index
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Shoern wrote:

Are the recipes in the 21-Day Kickstart Low Glycemic Index? If so, is it possible to include the GI information with the nutrition information for each recipe? I have been using the "Reversing Diabetes" book from Dr. Barnard and he stresses low glycemic index in addition to low fat and vegan. Thanks.

Most of the kickstart items are low GI - that's the nature of most whole vegan foods. One thing that is an issue with listing the GI of the menu items is that the GI is calculated on a food by food basis, not on a recipe combination basis. So, it would be nearly impossible to determine the GI of, say, brown rice mixed with chickpeas and kale. You can find the GI of brown rice but having the extra protein and fiber from the chickpeas and kale would change that because it would digest even more slowly. Since the menu plan is designed by folks in collaboration with Dr. Barnard, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--Deb R

RE: Low Glycemic Index
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Thanks, that is useful to know. Now I can try all these delicious looking recipes.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 350 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org