New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: passover 2012
Created on: 04/04/12 11:56 AM Views: 1630 Replies: 10
passover 2012
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Any advice to get through passover if the following are not allowed in the diet

legumes,
peanuts
grains (kamut, spelt, oat, rye, barley, millet, kasha, buckwheat, )
edamande, peas, string brings

fruits, most veggies, potatoes, almond butter, spaghetti squash, quinoa are allowed

RE: passover 2012
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I don't know much about this, but off the top of my head, how about baked potatoes, vegetable soup, stir fry, there are several asian dishes that might work as well.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

Any advice to get through passover if the following are not allowed in the diet

legumes,
peanuts
grains (kamut, spelt, oat, rye, barley, millet, kasha, buckwheat, )
edamande, peas, string brings

fruits, most veggies, potatoes, almond butter, spaghetti squash, quinoa are allowed

Quinoa is great. Pair with some sauteed kale (cook it with some garlic and onions!) and it makes a great meal - and it adds protein which might drop off with all the usual proteins (beans, nuts, etc) off limits.

There are also quinoa or brown rice based pastas, crackers, etc. Make a nice pasta primavera - a quinoa or rice pasta with an assortment of chopped up veggies (carrots, onions, bell peppers, etc)

Do a stir fry with brown rice and veggies and top with a sprinkling of slivered almonds for extra crunch.

It's one of the times when vegan is harder - most of the time not eating meat OR dairy makes it a lot easier to keep kosher.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thanks for the website

I was looking for quick meal ideas that I can eat during the work day.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

Thanks for the website

I was looking for quick meal ideas that I can eat during the work day.

Quinoa or rice crackers, tossed salad, and a piece of fruit. Crackers, almond butter, jam/jelly (kinda like a PBJ but using an appropriate 'base'). If you've got a microwave available, make a big batch of soup to reheat. Quinoa and rice both work great in things like soups. Maybe even look for those instant, add hot water, type soups - I know there are lots of vegan options in that regard, you'd just need to check the ingredients. Use lettuce leaves (big leaves like romaine) to wrap up matchstick sliced veggies (cuke, carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, chopped onion and tomato) and make all veggie wraps. Mix in some pre-cooked quinoa with diced veggies and wrap in the leaves - quinoa is good cold as a salad type item. For that matter, use quinoa or rice based pasta to make a pasta salad.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thanks Deb

forgot to mention rice is not allowed to be eaten on passover.

Good to know that Quinoa can be eaten cold. Can quinoa be frozen if I made enough for the week but don't want it to go bad.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

lostincyberspace wrote:

Thanks Deb

forgot to mention rice is not allowed to be eaten on passover.

Good to know that Quinoa can be eaten cold. Can quinoa be frozen if I made enough for the week but don't want it to go bad.

Oh okay - I was going off the list of grains above.

We've never bothered to freeze the quinoa. We cook it up and then portion it into containers in the fridge to use through the week. For that matter, we'll typically just make extra of whatever it is we're making (like if we're cooking it with onions and kale, we'll just make 6 or 8 portions instead of 3 or 4, depending on whose home for dinner that day) and then just store those leftovers to reheat later or, in the case of cold salad, to just eat later. It's never gone bad in the fridge for several days.

Of course, the quinoa pasta can live in the fridge for several days as well, so things like pasta salad would work just fine.

--Deb R

Edited 04/04/12 3:28 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Deb -- great idea regarding quinoa pasta. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for the suggestions

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Lostincyberspace, if it were me, I would just take a day off from the kickstart and enjoy Passover!

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I just got an email with this recipe for Passover:

http://macrochef.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/encore-try-this-apple-matzoh-pudding-cake-for-passover/#more-7284

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Just found a link for you: http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/reader-advice-day-what-to-make-for.html

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 430 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org