21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Batch Cooking
Created on: 08/31/12 03:15 PM Views: 3177 Replies: 16
Batch Cooking
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have been trying to go vegan for months. I hit a brick wall when I'm really tired or all three of us are running around like crazy - then its take out or junk food. I'd like to try prepping all my meals on the weekend. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks very much!

RE: Batch Cooking
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I find that soups, stews, and even sauces work well for making en masse and then storing for use throughout the week. For example, you can make quite a large container of chili to be reheated for days (freeze for longer) or make a pasta sauce that you can reheat as you boil the noodles (noodles boil in less than 10 minutes).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I just tried to make a whole bunch of vegan pancakes and they were gluey. Does anyone have a good pancake recipe that I could make a lot of for breakfasts/
Thanks!

Posted Saturday, September 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I use a very simple recipe modified from the cookbook, How It All Vegan:

Classic Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups soy milk (I use almond milk)
2 tablespoons oil (I use apple sauce instead)

Mix wet and dry separately, then combine. Instructions recommend cooking in frying pan with lid. I've never used a lid, but maybe there is something to it.

Good luck!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I also love making big pots of hearty bean or lentil soups/stews. We live off of them for days!

Today I have a baked beans recipe simmering in the crock pot from the NutritionMD.org site. It was super easy to put together since I soaked the beans all day yesterday, then cooked them on low in the crock pot overnight. This morning I simply drained them and tossed in all the other ingredients. I utilize my crock pot as much as I can! Wink

http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=81

Heidi
http://lilibethsvegangarden.blogspot.ca/

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Buckwheat banana walnut pancakes

2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tbsp olive oil
11/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk with 1 tbsp vinegar (for buttermilk)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 flax egg (3 tbsp warm water + 1 tbs ground flaxseed)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted

This makes a thick batter, which is good for thick pancakes. If you like crepe-like thinner pancakes, add some more milk thin the batter out.

In a bowl, whicpsk to combine the bananas, olive oil, maple syrup, buttermilk, and flax egg. In a separate bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center, and por the wet ingredients into the well. Stir until dry ingredients become most.
In the meantime, heat up your favorite pancake skillet and spray with cooking spray. When hot, add desired amount of batter, and cook both sides until browned.
To serve top the pancakes with some walnuts and a little pure maple syrup. Serve warm

Make 8-10 pancakes

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Hi, I have been pre-making refrigerater oatmeal in the mornings. I add 1 part oatmeal to 2 parts coconut or almond milk in a mason jar. I add blueberries and maple syrup to taste. I also add chia seeds for extra protein and leave it overnight or a few days. It is delicious Smile

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

To make sure I eat breakfast I make four servings of steel cut oats, add a diced apple, & some cinnamon. It gets a little dense sitting in the fridge so I add some vanilla almond milk when I reheat it. Makes for a quick, healthy breakfast!

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The biggest thing for us is having a menu for the week - that way, if we have 3 things needing beans and two needing broccoli and so on, we try to arrange things so that we can cook all the beans and then prep the broccoli (wash, cut up) if not cook it (depending on the end use and the timing). We'll often do things like make chili on Monday, have pasta with tomato sauce on Tuesday, then have pasta with chili (using up the Monday and Tuesday leftovers) on Wednesday.

Rice, quinoa, pasta, beans are all ingredients that don't really take any more time to make a double batch than to make one meal worth, so we make extra. That goes in the fridge and we have ingredients for other meals later in the week. A bean, a grain, a green/veg is the basic idea, so we try to have as much of it prepped ahead (cooked or cleaned and cut up) as possible.

Hubby usually starts cooking around 4 pm or later (depending on what it is) and has dinner pretty close to ready when I get home shortly after 5 (5:20ish). If the ingredients are already prepped (less time needed) he sometimes doesn't even need to start cooking until 4:30 or even closer to 5, depending on what it is.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Hello,
I just started the 21-Day Kickstart a week ago. Already feeling better from this new lifestyle. I'm going to a church breakfast on Saturday. I don't know what to take to cook as we are all to bring a dish. I would like to take something delicious (I've never baked without eggs and butter) that nobody will know it's vegan and also so I can also eat. Anyone have advice or a recipe suggestion for breakfast dish they've already tried?

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

atimmerman wrote:

Hello,
I just started the 21-Day Kickstart a week ago. Already feeling better from this new lifestyle. I'm going to a church breakfast on Saturday. I don't know what to take to cook as we are all to bring a dish. I would like to take something delicious (I've never baked without eggs and butter) that nobody will know it's vegan and also so I can also eat. Anyone have advice or a recipe suggestion for breakfast dish they've already tried?

Does it have to be an entree? What about a big, fresh fruit salad? Or, how about a bean-based quiche? http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/real-vegans-eat-quiche/ uses chickpeas (and no tofu) - I think the recipe we used was from the Veganomicon cookbook, but this is basically the same concept.
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM

kprettew wrote:

I have been trying to go vegan for months. I hit a brick wall when I'm really tired or all three of us are running around like crazy - then its take out or junk food. I'd like to try prepping all my meals on the weekend. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks very much!

Hi kprettew,

You are so smart to look to being prepared - what you have is what you'll eat, and if you don't have it, then what?

Great suggestions so far. Some people do well with menus - and if that's you, then there's a plan!

I work best by just having ready eats on hand. At pretty much any time you can open my fridge and find for easy prep:

Arrow lentil soup - I make this in batches in my pressure cooker, enough for the 2 of us for 3 days or so - works as a quick cold spoonful or two whenever I need it as well. Jammed with greens, carrots, and onions along with the lentils.

Arrow leftover brown rice, quinoa, or other grain that I've cooked in my rice cooker.

Arrow leftover cold yukon gold, red, or sweet potatoes or yams. Great for a quick cold meal or for preparing for a hot dish

Arrow carrots and other veggies for a quick grab

Arrow bags of prepped greens such as baby spinach

This way I can always put a good plate together without too much time or fuss!
Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

All great tips. My ALL TIME, NUMBER 1, FAVORITE time saver is the slow cooker. Especially since the name is counter-intuitive. What?! How can slow mean quick and easy? It's because the slow cooker does all the work, while you do other things. Every weekend I'm home I cook one, maybe two batches of beans that work for different meals, usually black, pinto or garbanzo beans. I also like to cook a soup, stew or chili for dinner Sunday night in the crockpot. They last in the fridge for a few days, and freeze well. Lots of people cook rice ahead of time, but I don't like reheated rice, but I find cooking rice is not that time consuming. I'll come from a bike commute, start the rice, shower, and by the time I prep and cook the veggies, the rice is done. Everything is done! Lunch is always leftovers, and breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit. Oatmeal cooks in about five minutes and does not need close attention. I pack my lunch and make a cup of tea while cooking my oatmeal.

I like to cook and "play" in the kitchen, but I don't have to if I don't want to.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

vegpedlr wrote:

All great tips. My ALL TIME, NUMBER 1, FAVORITE time saver is the slow cooker. Especially since the name is counter-intuitive. What?! How can slow mean quick and easy? It's because the slow cooker does all the work, while you do other things. Every weekend I'm home I cook one, maybe two batches of beans that work for different meals, usually black, pinto or garbanzo beans. I also like to cook a soup, stew or chili for dinner Sunday night in the crockpot. They last in the fridge for a few days, and freeze well. Lots of people cook rice ahead of time, but I don't like reheated rice, but I find cooking rice is not that time consuming. I'll come from a bike commute, start the rice, shower, and by the time I prep and cook the veggies, the rice is done. Everything is done! Lunch is always leftovers, and breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit. Oatmeal cooks in about five minutes and does not need close attention. I pack my lunch and make a cup of tea while cooking my oatmeal.

I like to cook and "play" in the kitchen, but I don't have to if I don't want to.

See? Vegpedr proves how easy this can be.

Your plans look similar to mine - just have the stuff and implement the self-advancing tricks (rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker) and get on with it.

How far is your bike commute?

Peace and plantpower!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Vegpedlr,
Thanks for bringing up your time-saving idea of using the crockpot. I think I'll try cooking on low all night, and maybe this would fit into my busy schedule better.
I clicked on "Search" above and typed in Crock Pot and it brought up recipes previously posted on the forum for Crockpot Beans, Vegetarian Chili, and Sweet Potato/Lentil/Quinoa Stew, and several discussions. (The Search function is really great) I found some vegan crock pot recipes on vegetarian.about.com.
Thanks again.

Edited 09/13/12 9:54 AM
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Agreed! Cooking beans in a slow cooker is a huge time saver. I have black beans and chick peas in the freezer right now that I cooked last weekend. I save some up for the upcoming week and freeze the rest. I have a 6L crockpot, so I make really big batches. another thing I do is bake marinated tofu on weekends to add to my weekday salads...That way I don't get too hungry through the day. I can also add the tofu to an Asian noodle bowl I might make for supper Smile

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Baked marinated tofu, brilliant! I need to do that too. I love baked tofu, but the store bought stuff is way too expensive.

My morning commute is 25 min, not much longer than driving which takes 15 min because of the rout. In the afternoon I train for one to two hours. I alternate bike days with run days.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 165 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org