21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: fat-free vegan butter substitute?
Created on: 04/04/12 04:35 PM Views: 2610 Replies: 9
fat-free vegan butter substitute?
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I like my vegan fat-free muffins, but I miss the butter I used to put on muffins. What's a good substitute? Is there some way to craft some sort of moist, fat-free, slightly (very mildly) salty, vegan butter substitute?

RE: fat-free vegan butter substitute?
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Earth Balance - love it!

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thanks, but...that's not fat-free, right?

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thanks, but...that's not fat-free, right?

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I use applesauce on muffins.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

No, Earth Balance is not fat free buuuut... Very Happy It has an amazing flavor and if used in moderation it's one of the better choices for that butter-ie flavor.
I have the "whipped" right here and the breakdown is as follows

1Tbs=80 calories(all from fat)
9g fat(2.5g-sat, 0g-trans, 3g-poly, 2.5g-mono),
Chol-0g, Sodium 100mg, Carbs/protein-0g

Heidi

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I agree with the other poster, that "if used in moderation it's one of the better choices." I prefer to exercise moderation than eliminate it completely.

That said, if you still want to go completely fat free then as someone else suggested, applesauce but if you want more flavor sprinkle Butter Buds or Molly McButter on top of the applesauce. You get the moisture from the applesauce and the buttery flavor from the sprinkles.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Not sure about the McButter or Buds or what have you, I can't remember the names and I forgot to quote! haha

At any rate, I would certainly be reading some labels on them. Sounds to chemical for me. I think I would try jams, sauces, etc.. keep it natural. Just my opinion tho!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Looking at the Butterbuds label and it reads, Maltodextrin (a natural carb derived from corn), butter (makes it non-vegan but no significant fat or cholesterol), salt, natural flavor, rice starch, soybean lecithin, annatto (colorant made from the fruit of the tree), and turmeric.

So can that be considered chemical? Yes! Truth is there are chemical in most everything that we eat and drink. It's when we don't know what those chemicals are and what they are capable of doing, that chemicals have the potential to harm us.

Is it vegan? No.

Becoming vegan is a evolution of sorts. We pick and chose our battles on a daily basis.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

BCMomma3 wrote:

Looking at the Butterbuds label and it reads, Maltodextrin (a natural carb derived from corn), butter (makes it non-vegan but no significant fat or cholesterol), salt, natural flavor, rice starch, soybean lecithin, annatto (colorant made from the fruit of the tree), and turmeric.

Becoming vegan is a evolution of sorts. We pick and chose our battles on a daily basis.

'

I totally agree, changing your life's patterns is a process and each step you take in the right direction is fabulous! I will not ever reach perfection and each time I become aware of a better choice available I try to make it the next time.

I would caution any gluten-free people out there that when you see such things as natural flavors, food starch, etc.. stay clear. They are vague and frequently have gluten substances in them.

Best wishes

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 178 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org