21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: popcorn?
Created on: 04/04/12 06:18 PM Views: 1325 Replies: 8
popcorn?
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Is there any popcorn that meets the low-sodium, low-fat criteria? I thought I was doing alright and just realized the popcorn I just ate has 5g of fat per serving and contains palm oil. Sad

RE: popcorn?
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM

We make ours from plain popcorn kernels placed in the microwave in a clear Pyrex bowl with a plate on top. Then you can control the oil and toppings. Nutritional yeast and a little olive oil to make it stick is our favorite. I also love a few chocolate chips on top when I want a treat.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

That sounds great!
Do you put any oil in it at all?

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Put 3 tbsp of popcorn in a paper bag and put in the microwave. I have a sensor button on my microwave, so I couldn't tell you for how long. I used to season it with pam and italian seasoning, but just yesterday, I tried it with nutritional yeast. I thought it was pretty great.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM

We just use an air popper.

Heidi

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

For the microwave no oil, just pop the corn plain. Then after it pops you can flavor it with a little oil if you want or need it to make your topping stick.

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Thank you, everyone!

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I dump about 1/4 cup kernels in a brown bag and pop for apprx 2:20...yummy and healthy Smile

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

After air popping I put about 1/3 of the popped corn in my serving bowl, spritz it with water from a spray bottle, sprinkle that with some nutritional yeast, add more popcorn, another spritz of water, more yeast, until I've used all the popcorn. There is not enough water to make the popcorn soggy but it does help the yeast stick.

I've heard about using other sprays, Braggs, balsamic vinegar, etc. but I haven't tried them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 203 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: attackofthe1337

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org