21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Starting Thursday
Created on: 04/04/12 06:45 PM Views: 602 Replies: 3
Starting Thursday, Need Advice plz
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Hopefully it's not too late and I will be able to view the days after day 21. Smile I will be shopping tonight and getting the whole family involved. Would love some pointers as this is faily new for us. We cut out dairy, processed food, and eggs about 6 months ago but still ate pizza every Friday.

It's time to cut out ALL animal products. Hubby is still drinking milk daily, eating meat 4-5 days a week and getting fast food (BK or McD's once or twice a week). We have three girls ages 9, 10.5, & 17. The older two are on board but the 9 year still wants to eat what dad is eating.

We are going to a cooking class and watching Dr McDougall's video, we have gone twice so far (hubby and youngest didnt go the 2nd time). There are 5 more and hubby said he would go as long as nothing else is going on. Any advise to help with the transition and not having hubby completely on board but is willing to make some changes?
Thank you!!
Cindy

Edited 04/04/12 6:46 PM
RE: Starting Thursday
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I've had the same problem trying to get support from my boyfriend. The best way is to find alternatives that are almost equal in comparison. My favorite substitute for cow's milk is almond milk. It tastes great, and it has a little thicker consistency like milk.

RE: Starting Thursday
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 6:48 AM

It's never too late, so welcome! As for reluctant family members, sometimes all they need is to see an example set, and now that's your job! So next time around, when the results of healthful eating are obvious, you probably won't be alone.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Starting Thursday, Need Advice plz
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

ckerbaugh wrote:

Hopefully it's not too late and I will be able to view the days after day 21. Smile I will be shopping tonight and getting the whole family involved. Would love some pointers as this is faily new for us. We cut out dairy, processed food, and eggs about 6 months ago but still ate pizza every Friday.

It's time to cut out ALL animal products. Hubby is still drinking milk daily, eating meat 4-5 days a week and getting fast food (BK or McD's once or twice a week). We have three girls ages 9, 10.5, & 17. The older two are on board but the 9 year still wants to eat what dad is eating.

We are going to a cooking class and watching Dr McDougall's video, we have gone twice so far (hubby and youngest didnt go the 2nd time). There are 5 more and hubby said he would go as long as nothing else is going on. Any advise to help with the transition and not having hubby completely on board but is willing to make some changes?
Thank you!!
Cindy

One option is to make mix'n'match type things - for example, a bowl of chili (lots of beans and veggies, mushrooms make a good meaty textural addition) then have cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado, chopped onion to add on on the side (the way restaurants do it). Cook meatballs in a little sauce separately from the rest of the sauce and anyone who wants can add them, the rest can skip it.

Also, maybe he'd be okay with a few meatless meals each week - like pasta and sauce or stir fry rice and veggies - so he doesn't have to give up everything at once. Even "high class" Manhattan restaurants have started doing "Meatless Monday" menus over the last year. Even chefs like Mario Batali (king of lardo - pork fat) has meatless mondays at his restaurants.

I'm a little confused that you say "we" cut out dairy yet hubby is drinking milk daily. So he didn't cut out dairy last year.

As far as fast food, maybe figure ways for him to get a fast, hearty meal into his day without going to those fast food places. Or, appeal to the wallet - for just three weeks (the 21 days of the kickstart) skip fast food places and put the money that would have been spent in a jar. At the end of 3 weeks, count it up and go do something fun - that's only about 6 meals (twice per week for 3 weeks) or so but at $3 per meal (assuming minimal dollar menu meals) that'd be $18 but it's likely going to be closer to $30 or so. That's enough for the two of you to go see a movie!

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 423 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org