21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: mind my own business or intervene
Created on: 07/13/12 03:42 PM Views: 763 Replies: 3
mind my own business or intervene
Posted Friday, July 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

what would you do? I have a FB "friend", a beautiful young woman who is obese and has developed type II diabetes. of course her conventional medicine dr. pumped her full of meds and told her the best diet is a paelo diet, which we all know is a bunch of crap. I want to tell her about a plant strong diet but I'm not sure if it will be taken very well. advice please.

RE: mind my own business or intervene
Posted Friday, July 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM

marge wrote:

what would you do? I have a FB "friend", a beautiful young woman who is obese and has developed type II diabetes. of course her conventional medicine dr. pumped her full of meds and told her the best diet is a paelo diet, which we all know is a bunch of crap. I want to tell her about a plant strong diet but I'm not sure if it will be taken very well. advice please.

Go slow! If she was just diagnosed, she's going to be dealing with grief right now - anger, fear, guilt, the whole lot, because her world is upside down and confusing. BTDT. Everybody wants to tell her what's right for her own body. The thing is, with diabetes, sometimes meds are NECESSARY - especially if her glucose is super high. First thing is get the glucose back into a safer range and THEN start working on plant based eating to be able to reduce the medication (if not stop it completely). For that matter, she's going to feel kind of 'strange' in her own body as she gets her glucose back in line - if she's used to having high blood sugar, 'normal' can feel shaky and weird. So, encourage her to get good at testing and making that a habit. How she feels isn't always a good barometer right now. She may feel shaky and low when she's normal, she may feel really hungry when she's got high glucose readings, etc. I know I was terrified of my glucose dropping too low when I was in a meeting or something here at work. I've gotten more sanguine about it now and know what to keep on hand "just in case" that is easy to handle going to meetings and such (I keep one or two hard candies in my pocket at all times for a quick boost with minimal fuss).

Help her find fun new foods and recipes - not "here, this is healthy for you" stuff but "this is one of my FAVORITE recipes (and it happens to be low glycemic)". Invite her to join you on the next kickstart (next one starts right after Labor Day if the trend holds). Let her know that there are a bunch of other diabetics (types 1 and 2) here that have been through it and can support and encourage her.

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I learned so much about the cause and treatment of diabetes by listening to The China Study audiobook and I'd recommend it highly. (I don't have diabetes, but it is one of many topics covered in the audiobook.) I'm sending a copy to a diabetic friend as well.

I've listened to the audiobook many times during my commute to work as I find it a motivator when I get tempted to go back to my old way of eating. As a matter of fact, The China Study is what got me interested in doing my first Kickstart in January.

Posted Monday, July 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Also, it can be really scary for a diabetic (especially newly diagnosed) to buck what "everyone" says - that diabetics should eat lean meats and low fat dairy along with sticking carefully to certain amounts of carbs (limiting grains and fruits particularly due to the carbs). I know that it was hard for me to let go of the idea of limiting/measuring carbs until I started seeing the kickstart/vegan/whole foods plan working for my own self.

--Deb r

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1112 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sarahthetraveller

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org