21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Newly Vegan - Need Foods for Traveling
Created on: 04/05/12 09:01 AM Views: 936 Replies: 4
Newly Vegan - Need Foods for Traveling
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I've just started cutting out all animal products, which is a great change for me.

For the trip (yay, fun!) I have some restrictions (not so fun...):

-- no stove access
-- VERY limited cooling/refrigeration access
-- limited access to grocery stores (no health food stores)
-- I don't want to eat out often, if at all

Several days will be full of driving with little time for breaks, and the rest will be in hotel/motel rooms.

What are some good meal and snack ideas for me? The easier to store and prepare, the better.

If you have any food ideas, or storage ideas, or PLANNING/STRATEGY ideas, please let me know! I'm a little worried about this.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Thanks for the tips so far, guys! And as far as food prep options, I'll have very little time and space to do it. There's a whole group of people going and we're packed into the rooms reeeally tight. And we have constant activities planned. So I need to stay out of people's way and not take up their time or space with my foods.

This is where prepackaged junk usually comes in. But I really don't want to rely on that.

Edited 04/05/12 12:46 PM
RE: Newly Vegan - Need Foods for Traveling
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Do you have access to enough water to rinse sprouted grains and beans twice a day, and a place to keep them out of the sun somewhere in the car? Sprouted chickpeas are fast, three days to a fresh salad. All you need is an old mason jar, an old bit of pantyhose and an elastic. If you don't have experience you can practice now. It is easy.

Dried fruit and vegetables are also good if you have that water access for reconstitution.

Oatmeal does not have to be cooked, just soaked. Put it in a sealed container as you finish one rest stop, and it will be ready for the next. Eat your raisins that way or you will end up eating too much dried fruit.

Pumpernickel style bread is dense and the best for this kind of travel.

Bring plant milk in those boxes that don't have to be in the refridgerator... the small ones would be good unless you are a gang of people and can finish one off when it is open.

Mix up packets of jars of spices to add to reconstituted food which will give you some variety.

I have seen whole grain soba noodles ready to eat, in airtight packages, that don't have any preservatives.

Stop for scheduled meals, even if it is at the side of the road for ten minutes. If you are driving all day you will easily loose track of how much you are eating if you are snacking while moving.

Most hotels have microwave and fridge, especially if you tell them you expect that before you arrive, although that won't help much except for a hot meal once a day.

Sounds like fun!
- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I order McDougall soups, oatmeal, lentil and pasta meals, etc, (in cups that only require boiling water) from amazon. I take along small nondairy milks, apples, already baked potatoes (good dipped cold in ketchup--bring some--or cut and put in the soup cups), cut veggies, grapes, bananas, pkg of nuts/dried fruit.
Favorite take-along sandwiches (in small lunch-size cooler with ice in bag): canned chick peas, drained, smashed--but not all the way--with nonfat vegan mayo, celery, green onions, pickle relish and (if you like spicy) pickled jalapeno slices), on whole wheat bread. Yum! Hope this is helpful!
KarenR

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

you can get some good information on the internet from

veganbackpacker. There are food lists etc from when the author thru hiked the Appalachian trail. Backpackers typically lack refrigeration etc. Hope this helps.

Janeoverton

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Hi, Madeline!
Love everyone's tips - fitting timing for me as my husband and I were in this situation today heading somewhere unexpectedly after work and not prepared!

I was especially intrigued by your grain and bean sprout idea - so if I understand correctly, you put your chickpeas (from a can or only dry?) in a jar, cover with nylons/elastic and let it sit a few days until it sprouts? Does it need to be in/out of sun - or any other tips? You can do this with any grains also? Any chance it would go bad/what should I look for? When you 'harvest' the sprouts do you throw out the beans/grains, or can they resprout if you leave a certain amount on the stem?
Sorry for my ignorance - this is a new concept for me, and I'd love to get more info on this from someone 'real'! Smile Thanks so much for your time and advice!!

FeliciaB wrote:

I've just started cutting out all animal products, which is a great change for me.

For the trip (yay, fun!) I have some restrictions (not so fun...):

-- no stove access
-- VERY limited cooling/refrigeration access
-- limited access to grocery stores (no health food stores)
-- I don't want to eat out often, if at all

Several days will be full of driving with little time for breaks, and the rest will be in hotel/motel rooms.

What are some good meal and snack ideas for me? The easier to store and prepare, the better.

If you have any food ideas, or storage ideas, or PLANNING/STRATEGY ideas, please let me know! I'm a little worried about this.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Thanks for the tips so far, guys! And as far as food prep options, I'll have very little time and space to do it. There's a whole group of people going and we're packed into the rooms reeeally tight. And we have constant activities planned. So I need to stay out of people's way and not take up their time or space with my foods.

This is where prepackaged junk usually comes in. But I really don't want to rely on that.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 164 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org