21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Plant-based vs. Low-Carb....its confusing!
Created on: 12/09/12 09:30 PM Views: 2162 Replies: 2
Plant-based vs. Low-Carb....its confusing!
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I have done plant-based eating before, but fell off the wagon. It is getting to the point with me that I have to do something about my health. However, I have friends who eat low-carb, and are trying to get me to go that route. I have read on it and watched a few videos, and the evidence they give is compelling; but so is the evidence that supports a plant-based diet. Can anyone give some feedback as to why plant based is better than LC?

Robin

RE: Plant-based vs. Low-Carb....its confusing!
Posted Monday, December 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I am not a professional, but just someone who has been faced with making similar decisions. For me, plant based wins because not only does one lose weight, but there are direct health benefits to following a plant based diet. Putting aside for the moment the moral issues that may lead one to avoid animal foods, there is compelling evidence that meat is not good for our bodies. In addition, the nutrients and fiber derived from plant based foods are like a magical potion that can prevent and even reverse or cure many diseases.

Although in the short term a low carb diet may help to lose weight, it is a temporary fix, not a lifestyle change. I would assume that low carb translates into high protein. Typically, high protein diets are high in meats, eggs, and cheeses. High protein diets are hard on the kidneys, plus there is a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol in these foods.

I hope this helps.

RE: Plant-based vs. Low-Carb....its confusing!
Posted Monday, December 10, 2012 at 4:54 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/vegan-diet-cancer_b_2250052.html

Not that I needed convincing, but when I read this yesterday it certainly confirmed what I already knew to be true.

You can find evidence for whatever you choose to believe, but if you read enough of it you'll find that the evidence for a whole foods, low fat, plant based diet is much more credible, believable and in my opinion the healthiest and easiest way to eat.

Try it, strict, for six weeks. REALLY stick to it, don't "splurge" here and there. You can do anything for six weeks. I can almost guarantee you'll feel better, your skin will look better, your bloodwork numbers will be better AND you'll lose some weight.

I know the Paleo / Low Carb / Atkins gurus can be quite convincing, but check out this video and see who looks the healthiest to you!

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2012/06/low-carb-book-authors----are-fat-video.html

In the end, you have to do what's right for you, but try to sift through the hype and get to the facts. Paleo / Low Carb / Atkins sells books because people WANT to believe they can continue to eat their rich, SAD diet and somehow magically become slim and healthy. Sadly they're going to find out, one way or the other, they can't eat their crap AND be healthy too.

Hope this somehow helps you make the right decision.

Vikki ~

Edited 12/10/12 4:56 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 836 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org