Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Bread
Created on: 04/05/12 11:36 AM Views: 1915 Replies: 8
Bread
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

What kind of bread can you eat? I like cornbread, but that has milk and eggs

RE: Bread
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Hi
I use Rye bread, but to be sure that it is low fat and no sugar, I suggest you to look for speciality breads not in a bakery but in the super-market so you can read the label.
Dr. Barnard also recommends Pumpernikel bread. I found that most pumpernikel obtains its color from additives and add some sugar (molasses), take care of these; but you can find good pumpernikel too. There are also some brand name breads with the label of Sugar Free, as Old Tyme, Mrs. Baird's and Nature Own that are also 100 whole wheat.
Finally if you want to make your own bread go ahead, I make mine with Rye fluor, whole wheat, amaranth fluor, active yeast, glutten and cider vinegar.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi
I use Rye bread, but to be sure that it is low fat and no sugar, I suggest you to look for speciality breads not in a bakery but in the super-market so you can read the label.
Dr. Barnard also recommends Pumpernikel bread. I found that most pumpernikel obtains its color from additives and add some sugar (molasses), take care of these; but you can find good pumpernikel too. There are also some brand name breads with the label of Sugar Free, as Old Tyme, Mrs. Baird's and Nature Own that are also 100 whole wheat.
Finally if you want to make your own bread go ahead, I make mine with Rye fluor, whole wheat, amaranth fluor, active yeast, glutten and cider vinegar.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

scalandro wrote:

We found a corn bread recipe that uses no milk or eggs. I think we googled vegan corn bread to find it. Also, we grind our own corn (popcorn specifically) to make the corn meal - it's so much sweeter and yummier than the stale stuff from the store. So, if you can, get corn meal as fresh as possible when you make corn bread - you'll be glad you did.

As far as what kind of bread to eat, that depends. Whole grain is a must. If you want to reduce the glycemic-ness of it, rye and pumpernickel tend to be best. And, be sure to read the label and look for things like dairy, casein, HFCS, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. You don't want those things.

--Deb R

RE: Bread-Corn BREAD
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Great cornbread recipe. Even my family likes it BETTER than the "regular" cornbread. By the way I have purchased the silacone muffin tins by HIC.. they are soo good... never need to oil them.

Best Cornbread Muffins
2 cups Cornmeal
2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
3 Tbsp Honey

Mix all dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients.
Mix just till combined
Put in about 18 muffin cups
Bake 30 min at 350 degrees

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Thanks...all of the replys to my bread question have really helped me...I am going to try the cornbread with applejuice.. and I love Rye breads.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

scalandro wrote:

It's not cornbread but I like Ezekiel bread. It has a hearty texture, high in fiber and made with sprouted grains and seeds.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thanks ch22 for sharing your corn bread muffin recipe. I have to try it (minus the soy)- I love corn bread and have been searching for a good recipe. I'm a freak for corn bread muffins.
I like the vegan loaves of Dave's Killer Bread - gotta read the label cause it's not marked vegan.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 232 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Bugsmom

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org