21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Diabetes 2 under control!!!
Created on: 04/05/12 11:37 AM Views: 1972 Replies: 11
Diabetes 2 under control!!!
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I just want to share that it works! I can't believe it!
I am diabetic 2 for more than 30 years, with ups and downs, taken a lot of oral medication of all sorts. Recently (6 months ago) I was again out of control having more than 160 (fasting blood glucose) in the mornings, even with a lot of exercise and low carb diet.
I started the diet or better the new vegan style of life with low fat, and after a couple of days I came back under control to levels of 120 in the morning and I am in my fourth day with still in the lows 120. I hope I can go further and eventually eliminate some of my multiple oral medication. I am happy and I will continue.
Who else is also a diabetic 2? Share your thoughts. Smile

RE: Diabetes 2 under control!!!
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM

type 2 5+ yrs now. "Dawn syndrome" is my nemesis. Even if I keep to low fat vegan, sometimes my mornings are over 130 - not where I want to be. The two things I'm working on are making sure to get in my hour on the treadmill daily and breaking my evening snacking. Even though I aim for 'good' snacks, they still mess with things. The balancing act sometimes makes me crazy - if it gets to before bed and I test and it's lower than it should be at that time (it'll get <90 depending on what dinner was and how hard I exercised), I need to have a snack. BUT if I have ANY snack, it's liable to be higher in the morning. Argh! I will say, vegan low fat has kept things more stable, weight has come off, and my cholesterol profile continues to amaze the doctor so I'm sticking with it. Added complication is hypothyroid - makes it hard to lose weight and if the medication is off, it can flip to sub clinical hyperthyroid which can elevate glucose levels! So, right now, dr and I are working on re-balancing things.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Congrats !!! I have been type 2 for 11 years, diagnosed at age 23. I am a marathoner and am pretty active at the gym, etc. Have been a long time vegetarian and still have had trouble keeping normal blood sugars. I am hoping switching to vegan will do the trick. I'll keep you posted.... I hope you have continued success Smile

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

hello
Thanks for the replies.
What I want to post today is about the fat sensitivity that I found. If I increase the amount of fat during the day (even hidden as in cookies) my Glucose level increased too.
I think each person has a different sensitivity, so please continue measure your glucose in the mornings and take note of your sensitivity. Sad

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

eduardo wrote:

hello
Thanks for the replies.
What I want to post today is about the fat sensitivity that I found. If I increase the amount of fat during the day (even hidden as in cookies) my Glucose level increased too.
I think each person has a different sensitivity, so please continue measure your glucose in the mornings and take note of your sensitivity. Sad

Yup. That's pretty much in line with what Dr. Barnard found and where the kickstart works from - keeping to 10% or less of calories from naturally occurring fat, not added (things like tofu and avocado have fat in them naturally, things like cookies and salad dressing would be added fats).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Just to make the follow up and encourgae other people to continue in the program.
It is the day 15. I had a couple of low-blood sugar events during the nights last week. So I decided to eliminate my Glyburride pill of the night and continue checking.
The next day my sugar went up a little bit and remains a little high (150) for a couple of days and then voila my sugar levels went down to 120 again.
I also take Metformin in the evenings and I continue...
I am going to share my results with my doctor that is going to get angry, as he wants that I follow the medications very strictly... But the fact is that I cannot get a medical appointment until next month... and there is no phone calls. Embarassed

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Congratulations on your blood sugar control!

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Wow, amazing to read all those fantastic stories.

My mom has type 2 also and I can't wait to share with her all the success you are having with the 21 day kickstart

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Congratulations, Eduardo.

Just a thought, have you contacted PCRM to see if they can recommend a doctor in your area ?

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I did the 1-2-12 (isn't that catchy: one-two one-two) kickstart. On day three of the kickstart my blood glucose dropped 100 points! I was elated and have not looked back. I'm committed to a plant-based diet for life! I saw my endocrinologist today and he wants to add a couple more really expensive pharmaceutical drugs. I want to find a doctor in the Minneapolis, MN area whose practice more closely resembles the doctors in FOK. Can anyone recommend a good doctor in Minneapolis? Thanks. And keep up the good work all you T2 people!

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Not only will a vegan diet help control your blood glucose, it will help the cholesterol which is so important with diabetes. My LDL went from 115 to 69 with this diet. My doctor told me I might want to try a statin if I could not get my LDL down. I am so glad I tried this! Both my parents have type 2 diabetes and I have been told I am prediabetic.

Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Eduardo,
Vegnews magazine recently had an article which included vegan drs in different areas, you might check their website. You need a Dr who you aren't worried about making angry, and one who is more accessible. I am a surgical nurse and all of our docs take phone calls from their patients. I think your best bet would be to see if there is a veg/vegan doc in your area. They would also be more believing about the change a vegan diet can make. Most docs know nothing about nutrition, Dr. Barnard and the others (Essestyn, Campbell, etc)we know of are the exception.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 458 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org