21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Calorie counting, weight loss, and sweets
Created on: 04/05/12 01:20 PM Views: 1525 Replies: 9
Calorie counting, weight loss, and sweets
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

So I know Dr. Barnard says NOT to count calories, because you don't need to, but I have been, as I'm trying to lose weight, and I seem to be going WAY over my caloric intake for each day. Suggestions? Tips, Hints, Advice??? I just seem to be SO hungry ALL the time, and then if I try to ignore it, or don't eat I get an incredible sweet tooth, and well...you can see where that's all going! I have tried to eat more veggies, less grains, less beans, etc, but then I'm lacking in my protein intake. What's a good balance? (And when I feel REALLY hungry and I eat, I don't want to work out because then I'm afraid I'll feel hungry again.) Sad HELP!

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

RE: Calorie counting, weight loss, and sweets
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I'm hungry all the time, too. But when you're hungry, just eat. As long as you're eating fruits and vegetables and other stuff they say is ok, then you're ok.
And definitely, definitely work out! It speeds the weight loss and just makes you feel better over all.
I used to consume tons of sugar, but the more I get into this, the less I feel any craving for it (and I'm only on day 5!).
Hang in there!

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Eat, eat, eat... don't worry. My advise is to listen to Dr. Barnard and don't count calories. You can eat as much oas you want of the meals on this plan, so long as you are not eating anything else. It is true. Get liberated!

I am not a doctor so I can't explain it. Maybe it is all the fibre... it just moves everything along and you don't get fat. You can eat until you are satisfied, and eat whenever you are hungry.

No extra added oil, no chocolate bars, no chips, no french fries, but don't be hungry. Eat!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM

negandhi wrote:

I'm hungry all the time, too. But when you're hungry, just eat. As long as you're eating fruits and vegetables and other stuff they say is ok, then you're ok.
And definitely, definitely work out! It speeds the weight loss and just makes you feel better over all.
I used to consume tons of sugar, but the more I get into this, the less I feel any craving for it (and I'm only on day 5!).
Hang in there!

Yeah, I've noticed my sugar cravings going down too. Smile I used to work in a bakery. Now that I'm not tempted by it, it certainly helps. But I do love to bake and I found a Vegan baking cook book. So I HAD to try it. Smile Baking and weight loss don't mix.

I LOVE to work out. I could spend HOURS in the gym, but lately I run out of energy SO fast! I'm lucky if I can make it through 30 mins of cardio before I just "fall out". And even veggies and fruit have calories. Let's face it 1500 calories is 1500 calories. Granted I'm healthier on 1500 calories of veggies and fruit than I am on Cup Cakes. Smile

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I just had a second thought... you are cutting your beans and grains!!! no wonder you are hungry. Eat them, they are what carries everything through your digestive tract.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

gryphonpro wrote:

I just had a second thought... you are cutting your beans and grains!!! no wonder you are hungry. Eat them, they are what carries everything through your digestive tract.

- madeline

Haha...you made me think of my Nana. She used to tell me the same thing, only in her language! "Mangia! Mangia!! Mangia!!!"

Ok, more beans, more rice, more fiber (more tp...lol). Less counting calories! Check! Got it! Thanks all. Smile

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

What will help you to not be hungry all the time is to eat something every 2-3 hours. I've found that it has also reduced my sugar cravings.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

knightrider wrote:

What will help you to not be hungry all the time is to eat something every 2-3 hours. I've found that it has also reduced my sugar cravings.

Yes, I do that. Example: Cereal, snack/fruit, lunch (sandwich, soup, whatever), snack/salad or smoothie, dinner, maybe snack if still hungry (although dinner usually fills me up.) I'm just thinking that maybe my "meals" aren't big enough. :/

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Cara wrote:

So I know Dr. Barnard says NOT to count calories, because you don't need to, but I have been, as I'm trying to lose weight, and I seem to be going WAY over my caloric intake for each day. Suggestions? Tips, Hints, Advice??? I just seem to be SO hungry ALL the time, and then if I try to ignore it, or don't eat I get an incredible sweet tooth, and well...you can see where that's all going! I have tried to eat more veggies, less grains, less beans, etc, but then I'm lacking in my protein intake. What's a good balance? (And when I feel REALLY hungry and I eat, I don't want to work out because then I'm afraid I'll feel hungry again.) Sad HELP!

Hey Cara,

You may find this helpful. I was initially not as successful with a plant-based diet as I am now (50 lbs lighter) and addressed the changes in an extensive article here:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/weight-loss/my-mcdougall-diet-failure/

Hope this helps!

Here,
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Cara wrote:

Hey Cara,

You may find this helpful. I was initially not as successful with a plant-based diet as I am now (50 lbs lighter) and addressed the changes in an extensive article here:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/weight-loss/my-mcdougall-diet-failure/

Hope this helps!

Here,
Lani

Wow. Thanks! Eat til you're full. I like it! Smile Good bye calorie counter, hello sweet potatoes! Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 130 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org