21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: questions about diabetic...
Created on: 10/04/13 08:57 AM Views: 965 Replies: 4
questions about diabetic...
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I am diabetic.
1. too much carb is ok? isn't it turn into fats if it's too much?
2. I am from Korea. In Korea there is so called Korean Cake. It made from rice. but it's GI is also high. Today, I eat two if them and my blood sugar after 1 hour of eating is 180. Is it okay?
3. Last question. Should I check the blood sugar after eating much carb? if it's high then Should I eat less or it doesn't matter?

Sorry for my poor English.
Thanks.

RE: questions about diabetic...
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Hello! Assuming you have type 2 diabetes:

If you eat a variety of the four food groups, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains, you will not eat too much or too little of anything, even carbs. Fat will "turn" to fat much easier than carbs turn to fat. And these plant foods have healthful carbs!

2. I am from Korea. In Korea there is so called Korean Cake. It made from rice. but it's GI is also high. Today, I eat two if them and my blood sugar after 1 hour of eating is 180. Is it okay?
3. Last question. Should I check the blood sugar after eating much carb? if it's high then Should I eat less or it doesn't matter?

We would not recommend eating high-GI products. That means avoiding sugar and sugary items such as cakes and other sweets. There is too much sugar and usually too much fat! Eventually, as you consume less fat and more fiber, your body will better tolerate the consumption of carbs and allow for faster uptake of glucose in your cells and lower blood sugars overall.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

tmyoun wrote:

I am diabetic.

Sorry for my poor English.
Thanks.

First "rule of thumb" for diabetic: if it's white, don't bite. What that means is white rice, white flour, white potato, white sugar are not good choices - they are carbs without any nutrients left in them. So, a white rice cake is not a good choice in general.

Next, if you don't know what a good blood sugar reading is, you really need to talk with your doctor or diabetes educator or nutritionist. You need to be checking your blood sugar on a regular basis, not just after eating carbs (virtually everything - grains, beans, legumes, vegetables, fruit, dairy - contains carbs). You need to keep track of what you eat and how it affects you because no two people, diabetic or not, react the same way to the same things.

Eating too much of anything will turn to fat if it isn't used - you could, theoretically, get fat eating only cabbage if you eat more calories than your body needs (very hard to do with cabbage) Wink

What you need to be looking for is as much nutrition per bite as possible. So, whole foods - grains, beans/legumes, fruit, vegetables - are better choices than heavily processed, stripped down, foods. Those whole foods will fill you up much more quickly than processed foods, so you do end up eating less IF you are listening to what your body says about when it has had enough and not just eating to keep eating (eating because you have to finish what is on your plate, eating because you're bored/tired/emotional, eating because your mouth wants something to do even when your stomach is satisfied, etc.)

--DebR

Edited 10/04/13 2:01 PM
Posted Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am using the "Eat to live," book. It is well suited to vegan. My sugar went down to 75 in the am on the second day. I am diabetic, have a number of other auto immune problems and had been told that I MUST eat meat. Still in the experiment stage but it seems to be working rather spectacular. Maybe some people here remember when I posted a year or two ago and was so sick

Posted Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am using the "Eat to live," book. It is well suited to vegan. My sugar went down to 75 in the am on the second day. I am diabetic, have a number of other auto immune problems and had been told that I MUST eat meat. Still in the experiment stage but it seems to be working rather spectacular. Maybe some people here remember when I posted a year or two ago and was so sick

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 501 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kayleenhoran, keresyk

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org